• 03 •

A yawn escaped Annika's mouth, her eyes were burning, red with lack of sleep last night

A yawn escaped Annika's mouth, her eyes were burning, red with lack of sleep last night. And then, when she had stepped out of the plane to find paparazzi standing there, with the camera lights flashing at her face, she was glad that she had worn a pair of sunglasses to avoid any interrogation on why she looked so tired.

The news about Annika Malhotra losing the contract spread like a wildfire in India. Gauri was well aware of the articles showing up on tabloids and across the entertainment section in the newspaper. She tried her best to bring all the articles down from every source but some were adamant, money couldn't buy them and so she gave up. Annika took a deep breath in when one of the reporters went ahead and asked if she enjoyed London.

Gauri motioned the two bodyguards to clear them off the path and so they did, in seconds, they were held back by the bodyguards and Annika walked away without answering a question, she was too tired to even form words. Getting into the car, she rested her head against the headrest and calmed her breaths down. The perks of being an actress were getting inside her head at that moment.

"You alright? Are you hungry? Should I bring you something to eat or drink? Oh, wait, I have this granola bar, take it" Gauri shuffled through her handbag to find the energy bar, passing it to her the next second she found it. Annika took it, unwrapping the cover and chewing onto the bar without speaking a word. Gauri sat down next to her, telling the driver to take them both home.

The ride back home was in silence, Annika had fallen asleep on Gauri's shoulder who was busy taking down some more articles from the web, bribing them with money. She felt Annika snoring and she giggled, she was indeed so tired. It had been a hectic week for her, she travelled to London for this particular contract of a movie that was supposed to start shooting next month, and the next second, they had lost it. What Gauri had heard was that they gave it to some other actress.

Shifting in her seat some bit, Gauri tried to wake her up, she was still snoring and this time a bit louder. She stared at the road outside, it was dark, the night was calm and serene, the traffic of Mumbai was at ease and the clicking noises of beetles was soothing her ears. Annika mumbled something in her sleep that Gauri couldn't hear, when she turned to see, Annika was frowning. And then, she felt something wet touching her shoulder to find that it was Annika's eyes that a tear slipped down.

"Annika, are you alright?" She tapped at her cheek lightly to wake her up, how was she supposed to sit there and watch her break down in her sleep? But she did not bulge to move or wake up from her sleep so she tapped again and this time, a bit harder. That made Annika wake up with a jolt. Rubbing her eyes and trying to adjust to the light inside the car.

Annika touched her face to realise that her cheeks were stained with wet tears and hence the burning sensation in her eyes. She took calm breaths, collecting herself back and trying to remember what dream she had while she slept. But she could not remember a bit, after a minute, she gave. Eyes fixed at the passing by buildings outside the window.