chapter III.

chapter iii

chapter iii. this is a predator having cornered its prey

Do you see him? The boy clenching the strap of his satchel nervously, heterochromatic eyes darting nervously from right to left, left to right?
Do you hear his troubled breath, as if scared in advance of what was to come, or who was to come? There he was, braving the flood of people around him, fingers digging in the fabric so hard it might break.

Fear not! For Nakajima Atsushi is not, by any means alone. One step ahead are the Tanizaki siblings — how pleasant is their soft banter — following the lead of the one named Higuchi. And, behind his slender frame, is the one in a prussian blue suit, ever so vigilant, a small smile curling up her lips. But, there are only so many things those who he slowly started to trust were capable of protecting him from.

The thoughts running in his frenzied mind were not one of them.

After all the information regarding the many dangers this city held, hidden in every dark corner they came across — or so it seemed for his paranoia-induced fear — saying that he was happy to be accompanied by three experienced people was an euphemism. Albeit his anxiety wasn't, in the slightest bit, no more than an unhappy memory, the calm presence of Izanami by his side served to ease his worries ever so slightly. And, the... affection displayed by the Tanizaki was more than enough of a distraction, although he remained unsure of the legality of their actions. Especially in public.

"I never thought I would be confronted to the Mafia..." He let out a heavy sigh, back slumping at the thought. "We're all gonna die..."

In front of him, interrupting yet another demonstration of his sister's fondness, Junichiro turned towards him, a kind smile on his soft features.

"Now, now, it will be alright Atsushi-kun! I may not look like it, but I am an ability user myself," he declared, a welcome attempt to reassure him.

So, he too was an ability user? What could it be? Atsushi straightened, curiosity lighting up his features, albeit one could argue that nervousness was still omnipresent on his behaviour.

"Oh! You're also an ability user? What's your ability?"

A bashful grin as the young man ruffled his orange mane, eyes closed in self consciousness as the young woman holding his arm tightened her grip on his limb. How he didn't manifest the slightest sign of discomfort was still beyond Atsushi's comprehension.

"Ah, it's nothing much really..."

And Naomi to protest vehemently, professing her admiration for this "very
beautiful" skill of her brother's to his embarrassment, a small blush slowly colouring his pale cheeks. Once more, he wondered just how each and every one of them had joined the Agency he was now a part of thanks to Dazai's... curtesy.