Chapter One

"Hey, Small Fry!!" I run up to Kurtis, my best friend. It's a bit of a running joke between us, with his last name being Frye and all, though sometimes I feel it annoys him. He turns to me and smiles warmly, i return the favor, pretending to tip an invisible cap on my head.
   His nickname actually fits pretty well seeing as he has long, curly blonde hair, and quite tall. Almost 5 inches taller than me actually.

  "Sage, Stop!!" He laughs.

  We both continue laughing as we walk down the street.

  Lower floors can't go up to higher floors, but higher floors can go down to lower floors. Since I live on a higher level than Kurtis, I have to go down to his level if i'd like to see him.
  Most people don't talk to those who are on lower levels than them because the lower floor you are, the more labor you must do to help supply the city, especially for the higher levels with its unnecessary accommodations. Don't get me wrong now, it's not as if the lower levels are treated badly. There's actually almost no difference between the top and bottom floors, it's just that the higher levels tend to have more money to waste on whatever they'd like when it's supposed to be for upgrading the whole kingdom.
   I guess some people think of the lower floors as not as valuable.
   Which sucks because your floor is decided at birth, depending on you power.

Their are 6 different powers, we call them tiers when they are combined with a color. These powers are A-F. A being the least powerful, F being the most. The colors are red-violet. Red being the least powerful and violets being the most powerful. The Letters are what power you have, and the colors are how good you are at the power.

A tiers have the ability to sense when something is wrong. They have to be in range of the event though. This can range from a few feet, to miles. Depending on their color.

B tiers have the ability to fly. But only for a certain amount of time, I heard that there was a girl on the B floor who could fly for a few hours!! She must've been a BV.

C tiers have an above average IQ. Like really above average. Some of them do homework for fun! For fun! I cant believe that one. I HATE homework. Most of it is just about Earth. I don't even know why we learn about the Earth, i mean we don't even live on it, so what does it matter?

D tiers can read minds. The founder fathers call it telepathy, but we jus say reading minds, it's easier. I'm a D tier, luckily we have to be touching someone to read their mind. I hate knowing what someone is thinking, I feel like I'm invading their privacy. I try to not touch people too much. But if you are a violet then you can just read their minds with a snap of the fingers. Hopefully I am a violet when I turn 18 so I can control when I read minds, because when you are of age, you should have reached your full potential. Some only reaching red, others to violet. I'm currently on indigo.

E tiers can move stuff with their minds, or telekinesis. I think that one is quite cool, it's my favorite power. I wish i was an E tier. But if I was i probably wouldn't be living here, we don't have any E or F tiers. And I'm the only D tier that lives here, the founding fathers said that the Lulks (people without powers) killed all of the the E and F tiers, good thing the Lulks are extinct. But now they've been replaced by Otamots. And I guess no one has given birth to any E, D or F tiers, maybe you have to have parents that are E, D or F tiers for that to happen. But then again my father and my mother are Llulks and I'm an Evolke (people with powers) and I'm a D tier. My mother died in a car crash along with my older sister. I don't remember them at all, unfortunately, I was only 5 months old when they died.

F tiers have every power. Every. single. one. I think that's quite crazy. I can see why the Lulkes were afraid of us now. I still don't think they had any right to lock us up and kill us when we didn't even do anything though.

"Sage!" I hear Irene yell behind me. She sprinting at me, barely being able to get the words out because she was panting so hard, her wavy ginger hair sticking to her face with from sweat.
"Yeah?" I responded a little loud so she could hear me.
Still panting, she grabs my shoulder while she catches her breath and I accidentally read her mind, Dang I'm tired  "Sorry I haven't been able to see you as much, I've just been so busy practicing for the exams."

Oh yeah, the exams.

"It's fine, I completely forgot about the exams actually." I say, Irene and Kurtis look at me weird and begin to converse with each other when I feel a weird feeling go through my body. It almost like a tingly feeling. It feels odd. Somethings wrong.

I stop walking.

"What are you doing?" Kurtis asks turning around, noticing my absence.
"Something's feels a little off." I answer, the worry in my voice noticeable.

Kurtis says with a weird face, "Is it another gut feeling" he pauses with laughter," Don't you remember last time?" Then I suddenly realized I've never been good with gut feelings... last time we went with my gut, the janitor ended up falling out of a window. I thought he was a alien from another universe... it's ok though it was only one story building.

"Oh yeah, it's probably nothing." I say, convinced I'm just overreacting.
"Well I've got to get home for dinner" Kurtis says putting his phone away.
"Ya I'm quite hungry I'm going to head home also." Irene says as her stomach growls.
"Okay, see you guys at school tomorrow," I respond, "my dad wouldn't want me out this late anyway."
"Don't forget about exams!!" Irene yells at me from down the street, as she's already started walking home.
"I won't!" I yell back, laughing.

I continue walking down the street on my way to my house. I'm on the the A tier floor so both Irene and Kurtis could see me. Irene is a C tier and Kurtis is an A tier. Since I'm the only D tier I live on the C tier floor. On my way to the elevator I pass shops and apartment buildings, most A tiers lived in apartments because it was the most common power so they save space on their floor by living in apartments, There's only so much space in the kingdom.

I reach the elevator and the guard immediately recognizes me so I don't have to show him my card that shows what my tier is. Everyone in the kingdom knows who I am. Only because they knew my dad, and that I'm the only D tier left. My dad is one of the founding fathers of the kingdom. He's the one who came up with the whole idea to get us away from the Lulks before they killed us all off actually.

I step into the elevator and scan the elevator buttons for the C tier floor button. There were 7 buttons. One for each tier (A-C) and one for the agriculture floor, that was where we made our food but we also got our water from down there, and another for where all of the technical stuff was, that's where we got our electricity from. There were also two other buttons, these different than the others. The first one had a red ring around it, this was the emergency button of course. I'm not exactly sure what happens when you press it because I've never had to use it, and i hope I never will. The other one looked like the others, just sliver with a light gray rim around it, but this one had a key hole under it. I've tried to press that button, but it just feels likes it's jammed. No one I talk to really knows what that button leads to, except my dad of course. He knows everything. But he won't tell me what it does.

I click the C tier floor button and the elevator doors shut and the elevator begins to move. Within a few seconds the doors open and I walk out on to the smooth pavement.

The C tier floor is different from the lower floors. It was very neat up here. There was no trash or litter. There are no apartment buildings, everyone lives in houses. Really nice houses. Me and my dad live in the biggest house, we're quite rich. Our house towers over the whole C tier floor, it's painted a red so dark it almost looks black, and it has large pillars that supports the top two floors.

I reach the large front door of my house, grab the keys out of my back pocket and unlock the door.

"DAD?!"

________________________________

# Words: 1489