Author's Note

.

.

.

"We saw the mirage in the desert but we couldn't grasp it."

The life of an idol.

What does that mean?

To live the life of an idol.

To work tirelessly just for a chance to stand on a stage. To spend your life praying and hoping for a  success that is never guaranteed. To give up everything that makes you who you are for the achievement of your dream. To lose yourself and realize that in your pursuit you had lost everything you needed. To watch the fire that once burned ablaze in your heart slowly but surely fade out the longer you dance amongst the stars; the higher you rise. To grow cold and numb in that empty expanse of time and space. To see people admiring you, idolizing you, stripping you of the humanity you had once thought you were owed. To become their piece of art, their statute in place of the person you once knew.

How does it feel to be made into a doll for their enjoyment?

Watching and supporting these idols over the years has made me wonder these things. 

As I see what they go through, how they are treated, the struggles behind their smiles, the tears that went into earning each and every award...it's hard to feel as though it's all worth it in the end. And as I wrote this book, I wondered at why they choose this life. Why they choose to give so much for a world that is so cruel.

But perhaps that is the price you must pay.

In a world that expects you to be the very epitome of perfection, perhaps it is best to let go of all the flaws that make us human and become a shell of ourselves. Perhaps that is the best way to protect yourself against the cruelties of the world.

But does that make it right?

Does that make it worth it in the end?

If you manage to make your mark in the stars...is that enough?

"Praying that this isn't truly our reality."

When you've been wandering for too long in the desert, I wonder what it feels to see the sea you've been searching for all your life.

Perhaps that is their treasure.

But what is within their sea? What is their treasure?

What is yours?

Whatever it is, I hope that one day it's within your reach. No matter how long it takes, how hard you've worked or how out of reach it may be, I hope you are able to gain the courage to start walking towards it.

For anyone who dares to dream, deserves the chance to shine.

.

.

.

08.27.23

Maple