seven - bea

"This is the first address," Bea says, but what she's thinking is, this cannot be the first address.

The house is, she supposes, cute enough, but it's run-down. It hasn't seen a fresh coat of paint in decades, the steps leading up to the porch are crumbling, and the house's facade is covered in overgrown vines, the kind that slither in cracks in the plaster and make their way into the pipes and destroy everything.

"Let's get out, then," Niall says, already opening his door and climbing out of the backseat. He opens Gran's door for her and helps her out, so Bea has no choice but to follow. She pockets the car keys and follows them up to the front steps.

"Should we knock?" Gran asks, looking from Bea to Niall and back to Bea. Bea can see a bit of nervousness in her gran's face, and a hint of timidness. It's strange, seeing it there; it's not an emotion Gran normally expresses. Gran is always in control, taking the lead, charging headfirst into battle, Bea trailing behind her. That's how they ended up in Italy, .

But right now, it seems like Gran needs Bea to take the lead. So she steps forward, planting herself between Niall and Gran, and puts a hand on Gran's shoulder.

"What do you want to do, Gran?" she says in a tone she hopes is gentle and encouraging. She squeezes Gran's bony shoulder and tries not to think about how much of Gran's life she's spent alone, dreaming of her lost love. "Do you want us to knock?"

Gran's hand drifts to her neck, her fingers playing with her necklace. It's a thin gold chain, gifted to her, Bea knows, by her husband, Bea's grandfather, who died before Bea's parents did. She wonders what Gran is thinking. Is she concerned about being unfaithful to her deceased husband? Is she regretting her marriage to someone who wasn't Alessandro entirely? Or is she simply nervous about the possibility of seeing Alessandro again after so much time has passed?

"Gran," Bea says again. "We can stay here as long as you need."

Bea can feel Niall's eyes on her, but she ignores him. He shouldn't even be here; he's intruding on a private family moment, no matter what Gran says to the contrary. But at least he's smart enough to be keeping his mouth shut right now.

"No, that's alright," Gran says, dropping her hand from her necklace and shaking her head. "I'm being silly. We came all this way, and it's probably not him. We'll have wasted a trip if we don't find out for sure."

Bea looks up, toward the front door, but on the way, her gaze runs into Niall's. He's frowning slightly, like he's confused. She wrinkles her nose at him, and he grins. If he weren't so annoying, it might be cute. He might be cute.

"Okay, Gran," Bea says, slipping her hand into Gran's for a squeeze. "Let's go, then?"

"Let's go," Gran repeats. She takes a step, then hesitates. "Niall, will you do the honors?"

"Me?" Niall meets Bea's eyes, his eyebrows raised, but she's just as surprised as he is. Niall is a guest here—and barely that. He's an interloper. But Gran wants what Gran wants. Bea shrugs.

Bea watches with bated breath as Niall climbs the battered steps to the house and knocks on the door—twice, and then a third time, louder. She counts the seconds, waiting.

Eight.

Nine.

Ten.

Eleven.

Twelve.

Finally, the door opens.

The man is backlit by the sun as he steps outside, so it takes a minute before she can see him fully. Dark mustache, suspenders over his shoulders, tan shirt, and a face that's much, much too young. He can't be Gran's Alessandro.

Gran asks anyway, though, drawing on her rusty Italian to ask for Alessandro Bianchi. The man shakes his head.

"It's not him," Gran says quietly, tugging on Bea's sleeve. "He says no one with that name has lived here for years. Decades."

Bea looks back at the man, who is standing on his front porch looking irritated, like the knock on his door has interrupted his entire day.

"Grazie, signore," she says, allowing Gran to tug her back to the car, Niall following behind.

As she starts up the car and waits for Gran and Niall to decide where they're headed next, Bea analyzes her feelings. Annoyance, of course, at Niall for being present, and a smidge at Gran for dragging her all the way out here. Frustration at the poor infrastructure of Italy's backcountry roads. And—wait, is that disappointment?

Yes, Bea admits to herself. It sucks to strike out this early in the game. It sucks that Gran has spent so many years without Alessandro, and now she'll have to wait even longer to find him. And what if they never find him? How long will they keep looking? How long will Niall follow them around the country, riding in the backseat and running new Google searches to grow their list of possibles?

Bea looks at Gran, who has pulled her gray hair back in a low ponytail at the nape of her neck to get it out of the way while she compares Niall's list with a paper map. Gran, who has weathered so many storms. Gran, who has carried Bea through the worst of them.

Gran, who has bounced back from this disappointment like it was nothing.

So Bea will do the same. She will put on a brave face and input the next address Niall gives her into the GPS app, and she will force herself to be hopeful that this Alessandro will be the one they're looking for.

And if that one's not him, she'll hope the same for the next Alessandro.

And the one after that.