Chapter one - The Call

Nate was still only in his boxers, sipping his morning coffee when his phone started buzzing and a happy tone started ringing. He sighed, bothered by that he had to get up from his comfortable seat in the couch to answer his phone. He walked out in the kitchen, still holding the mug of coffee in his hand. He looked down on the screen of his phone as he picked it up from the counter, were he left it earlier. He couldn't recognize the number, and he frowned a bit, wondering who would call him this early. It was still only around 8.

"Hello?" Nate said in a tired, classic morning voice as he took another sip of his coffee.

"Hello, I'm looking for a specific Mr. Nate Novarro." A woman on the other line spoke in a soft and calm tone.

"Speaking." Nate answered shortly, his voice echoing a bit into his coffee mug as he moved it away from his lips.

"You're on Mr. Alex Suarez list for people to call in emergencies." The woman on the other line continued, and Nate heard her type something in on a computer. Nate remained silent, a sign of nervousness, and the woman continued.

"I have some bad news about Mr. Suarez." The woman said, and Nate felt his heart ache, and his heart started beating faster. Usually when people referred to Alex as "Mr. Suarez", it often bothered him. Now he didn't care. He was just worried.

"What has happened? Is he okay?" Nate spoke, biting down his bottom lip. He heard the woman as she let out a soft sigh, and he could almost see her shaking her head in front of him.

"Unfortunately, he's not doing so well. He has been in a car accident." The woman said, but then quickly added, "I'm sorry."

Nate felt his heart shatter and his coffee mug slipped through his fingers as his body went numb. He heard the woman speak again, but her words were faint and sounded distant. He couldn't think anything else than that he had to get to the hospital. Now. Without any further words, he hung up on the phone and didn't care to clear up the coffee and the shattered mug on the floor. He rushed to his room and tugged on a pair of jeans, pulled on a white tee shirt and grabbed his jacket.

Five minutes later, Nate sat in his car, driving fast through the streets. There wasn't that many cars out, since it was the weekend, Saturday to be exact. His heart was pounding in his chest, and he felt his shirt stick against his back. He felt like this was a bad dream, a nightmare that he couldn't wake up from. This couldn't be happening, not to Alex. Alex was the most careful and sweet guy you could ever meet, and Nate could never picture anything like this happening. Not to Alex. Not to Alex.

When he finally arrived at the hospital, about ten minutes later, he was just praying and hoping it wasn't too late. He left his car, not caring to lock it as he ran into the hospital and up to the desk. He grabbed the edge of the desk and stared at the woman sitting by a computer behind the desk.

"A-Alex Suarez..." Nate stuttered in a shaky breath. "W-what room?" He continued in a shaky voice and leaned against the desk, as the woman quickly typed in his name. She looked up at the young boy and nodded towards the corridor to the right.

"Through the corridor and room 15 in the end of the hallway." She directed him and gave him a faint smile, but Nate didn't return it. He just quickly nodded and rushed away.

When he ran through the corridor towards Alex's room, it felt like the time moved in slow-motion. He could hear his own heartbeat pound, so hard, so fast. He almost thought his chest would explode, and he never seemed to get any closer to room 15. But suddenly he stood outside the door, staring in through the window. He saw a figure laying across the bed and he swallowed hard, pressing the handle on the door down. Nate moved silently over the floor towards the bed, like he was afraid of that if he showed any signs of being here, Alex would sit up asking what the hell he was doing here. But deep down, he knew that probably wasn't going to happen, and it almost made him tear up.

Nate heard the faint beeping of the monitor that showed Alex's heartbeat and it sent chills down his spine. Yet it was so quiet, so peaceful, but also so very sad. It felt like he was living somebody else's life, and that the person in the bed wasn't Alex. Only the sound of the heartbeat monitor and his own breathing could be heard in the room. He reached the hospital bed, and he gripped the edge of it as his eyes glanced at the uncoinscious boy who laid there, tucked under a blanket. The boy had a bandage around his head and a stain of blood was visible on it. When Nate finally glanced at the boy's face, he felt a pain in his chest and his eyes got watery. He let out something that sounded as a whimper and quickly looked down as he tried to calm himself down.

The boy on the bed wasn't Alex. But yet it was. His face was filled with bruises and cuts, and different kind of tubes was plugged into his body. It didn't look like Alex, and Nate had never seen him like this. He turned around and pulled a chair over that he could sit in. He slowly sank down in the chair that wasn't very comfortable, but it didn't matter to him. He stared at Alex, as a few tears slipped down his cheeks and he sniffled quietly.

The door to the room was suddenly pushed open, and Nate glanced over as a man in a white robe stepped inside of the room.

"Hello, my name is Dr. Blackinton." The man spoke softly and slowly walked closer to Nate.

Nate nodded his head a bit, as he slowly stood up from the chair and walked over to Dr. Blackinton.

"Nice to meet you.. I'm Nate." Nate managed to get out and offered his hand out to Dr. Blackinton.

Dr. Blackinton gently shook his hand and gave him a little nod, before he picked out a journal hanging by the feet of the hospital bed Alex was laying in.

"Is he going to get any better?" Nate asked carefully after a bit and looked at Blackinton, before he looked back at Alex.

Blackinton studied the journal for a moment, before he hung it back on the bed and turned to Nate.

"His condition is stable at the moment. But we might have to take him in for an operation. He might have some internal bleedings and it could affect his body in a negative way." Blackinton explained and looked at Nate, seeing the worry in his eyes. "I assure you we're doing everything we can to help him, Nate." He said and gently placed his hand on his shoulder, giving it a light squeeze before he pulled back.

Nate nodded and let out a shaky breath, not in relief, but Blackinton's words made him relax a bit. After Blackinton left, Nate went back to sit in the uncomfortable chair next to Alex's bed.

"Alex..." He breathed and pushed his hands into his eyes, breathing heavily.

"Please, Alex. Wake up. Wake up, Alex."