Apostrophes

In this edition of my book, we're going to be talking about apostrophes. If you don't know what an apostrophe is, it's the symbol that I'm using oftenly " ' ". That little mark. Anyway, the whole reason why I'm talking about such an insignificant little mark is because it's significant. Well, for a writer at least it is, unless you're going to risk your life on an epic adventure where life and death is evident.

An Apostrophe is a mark that has several uses: to form possessives of nouns, to show the omission of letters, and to indicate certain plurals of lowercase letters. Simply put, it's when you put apostrophe in "two-in-one word shortcuts" or possessive words. Also, just because someone is using an apostrophe in random places, does not automatically make them professional writers.

A "two-in-one word shortcuts" - or at least that's what I call them - is when there are two words in a word, not a way to express in a book haphazardly when you feel like it. Anyway, when I use the meaning "two words in a word", I mean when you see words like these: you're, it's, who's, and so on and so forth. Basically, it is one of those "two-in-one word shortcuts". For example, "you're"means "you are", so basically the word "your" and "you're" have different meanings. Moreover, it is two or more words in a word, which gives it a different meaning. Most writers in Wattpad forget this, so keep this in mind.

Since we covered the section about "two-in-one word shortcuts", we're going to talk about the possessive part of the apostrophe. Before I explain the possessive part of the apostrophe, we're going to talk about the mistakes you might've done in your books. First off, sometimes you have to write about a character's stuff or some other non-person's stuff, and you decided to just put "Nancys sweater" or "the moons orbit". Well, they may not seem like it, but they're wrong. How? Well, if you're writing about a person's stuff or a non-person's stuff, you have to add an apostrophe to the possessive word, such as: "Hey, guys! I think I just found Nancy's sweater!" or "The moon's orbit is what makes the waves on earth". Each of these sentences has a possessive word in them.

Apostrophes has different uses than what I used before; they can be used for a character's dialogue, especially when the character's dialogue is unique. For example, "I'm going to kill 'em for killin' my wife," Edward said. Basically, you can use them to shorten the words, and it gives a unique tone to your character.

Anyway, if you like the chapter, please give a like, and comment if you want to give any recommendations or you want to learn personally. See ya guys!