The revenge note

"She checked out a few hours ago, Sir. She settled the bill and left with her belongings.", the nurse informed him.

Arnav kept looking at the nurse, stunned for a few seconds at how that was possible. How and why had Khushi discharged herself in the morning, especially when Dr. Khosla had specifically recommended she be admitted for another night or two. Arnav was left perplexed and so he called Khushi to gather her whereabouts, assuming she'd have gone back home. After 3 missed calls on her mobile and 4 on the landline, Arnav decided the best course of action was to go back home and check up on her. He knew she wasn't crazy about hospitals so it was probably that, he thought to himself.

When Arnav reached back home, he called out for Khushi a couple of times, but got no response, even as he checked all the rooms. Arnav began to get a bit worried, wondering where she'd gone in her state. A few hours ago, Khushi had been knocked out unconscious with stitches and an IV drip attached to her, and now she was supposedly missing! Calm down, Arnav, he told himself, she's probably just gone to pick something up from the stores, still worried something could be wrong.

Thirty minutes later, Khushi still hadn't returned and Arnav was almost ready to send out a search party. He started looking around the house for anything that would give him a clue as to where she could be. The doctor had advised bed rest, but clearly his wife wasn't a fan of following instructions.

While Arnav was about to discover revelations of his own, Khushi was trying to settle into her new place. Today was supposed to be a big day for her. It was the first night she was going to spend in her new flat with her cargo due to arrive later that day. It was supposed to be the start of new beginnings for Khushi. New opportunities, pastures afresh. However, it had now been marred by a series of unfortunate events. Khushi felt heartbroken reliving the moment she was sent those pictures of her husband and Sheetal. Before she knew it, tears were rolling down her face, her cheeks red and she began to feel light headed again, as she steadied herself and sat down on the sofa bed. She took deep breaths to try and calm herself.

Honestly, she didn't have the time nor the energy for a breakdown. Nor did she have the time to spend a week lying in a hospital bed without working. She wouldn't be able to make that month's rent if she took that long off work. She also knew how expensive private hospitals were in Delhi, and she didn't want the financial burden of spending nights there when she simply couldn't afford it.

When the lady at reception had informed her of the daily rate for her one night of stay and treatment, it had almost caused Khushi to pass out once again. Was my mattress gold plated, adorned with Swarovski diamonds? Was the bed sheet branded by Gucci? Had Louis Vuitton hand made the nurses' outfits, she thought, thinking about the absurd prices they were charging. Following that, Khushi did the one thing she had always been taught never to do by her Amma and Bauji. Never spend beyond your means, her parents had told her, their words ringing in her ears as she handed over her credit card, knowing it would take her in to overdraft. I'll work extra shifts this month and clear it off ASAP, she convinced herself. No matter what, she was determined that she wouldn't let Arnav carry the financial burden for any of her treatment.

Today would have been Khushi's day off, but since having taken up a second job, she no longer had that luxury. Given the recent events, she figured she'd be better off working than spend her time thinking about her cheating husband. The very thought of him cheating piercing her heart as she struggled to deal with her new reality.

While struggling to come to any conclusion about his wife's whereabouts, it suddenly hit him. If she had made any recent transactions on the card he had left her, he would know roughly where she was. He took out his phone and went on to the mobile banking app to search for transactions. He refreshed a few times, wondering why nothing had loaded and if the app was down. He tried a few more times before giving up and calling the bank who told him not a single transaction had been made on the card in the last month. Arnav knew that was impossible because the hospital bill had been paid by Khushi that morning. Hence Arnav was left frustrated, convinced he was speaking to an incompetent moron on the phone.

As Arnav was about to demand the man put him through to a manager, he heard something at the door. Arnav disconnected the phone and came rushing, only to be disappointed that it was the postman delivering letters. He sighed in frustration, picking up the letters that had been dropped off. Most of it was fashion subscriptions that Khushi had insisted he sign up to in order to 'stay ahead of the competition' once Arnav had pitched his idea of Blue Velvet to her. He had joked she only wanted a monthly subscription to check out the hot male models on there. The irony wasn't lost on him. He flicked through till he came across one letter addressed to Khushi.

He stared at the letter with his wife's details. He knew he shouldn't but morals and ethics be damned at this point. To his disappointment, it was just a bank statement and he almost discarded the letter before he stopped. A bank statement in Khushi's name? That didn't make sense. All their expenses went through his card and all statements were in his name. Arnav looked closer and realised it was a brand new account.

He began analysing the statement with greater scrutiny. She got paid how much?!, he exclaimed looking at the salary line, appalled at how little she was being paid. Of course Karan's exploiting her and just about paying minimum wage, he thought angrily. What surprised him further was the list of expenses. They were all for household items - bleach, soap, milk, bread etc. After all the deductions, what she had left was minimal. Why was Khushi paying for all of this from her new account when I left my card with her?, thought a confused Arnav. It was then that Arnav spotted the biggest payment on the list - a large sum paid out to a landlord with an address in Swaroop Nagar. By this point, nothing made sense. Was there a fraudulent transaction on her card? Or had she been in some kind of trouble? How did she pay for the hospital bill on her card so when her income is so minimal?

Arnav's head was spinning at this point, the anxiety of his wife's whereabouts bothering him and he was feeling rather hot and sweaty, still wearing the grey hoodie from the hospital. He went to his room for a change of clothes, not realising another surprise awaited him as he opened his closet. Some of Khushi's clothes were missing. The dresses he had bought for her from his days at ASR Industries were still there, but all her other stuff had gone. He frantically began searching through the closet, refusing to believe what his mind was telling him until he saw it.

A note. Handwritten from Khushi.

Left the hospital. Didn't want to wake you. Already settled the bill. Take care of yourself.