Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Once Alex put Emilia down they were both breathless with sleepy smiles on their faces.

“I love you Emilia.” Alex said as he kept his hands on her face. Emilia opened her mouth to say the say back, but nothing came out. Alex understood if she wasn’t ready yet and he didn’t mind because he could no longer keep his feelings for her trapped away.

“How about we go inside.” Emilia suggested as she took a step back from Alex. She wanted to return the words she longed to say, but not until he knew the truth about David. Alex followed Emilia inside and helped her bring in the finally bags.

‘Where’s Aiden?” Emilia asked as she put the kettle on for Alex.

“He is at home with Maria’s parents.” Emilia stopped what she was doing and faced Alex with wide eyes and a shocked expression.

“I rang them today and we came over and talked things out.” Alex shrugged while Emilia was gobsmacked.

“Turns out Maria knew she was going to die. She didn’t want me to choose between her and Aiden so she gave up her life so Aiden could live.” Alex said sadly, even though he got to say goodbye it didn’t hurt any less knowing that she didn’t tell him.

“Are you ok Alex?” Emilia didn’t know what to say and knew this news would have shocked Alex.

“I am ok I guess, I feel lighter then I have in years knowing it is not my fault. Plus I finally got the courage to go and see her and say goodbye.” Alex looked at his hands and Emilia came over taking them into hers.

“Did all this happen today?” Alex nodded and leaned his head on her shoulder as his body went limp.

“I did it for us. I knew I wouldn’t be able to love you the right way until I let Maria go and I did.” Emilia was shocked that she didn’t know what to say. She knows how much Alex loved Maria you would have to be dumb and stupid not to see if and for him to say goodbye she just didn’t know what to think.

“I don’t know what to say Alex.” Alex smiled at Emilia and was ok with that. He was ok with the fact that she couldn’t return the words because he knew the day would come when she would open herself to him fully the same way he is doing, by letting go of the past and looking towards the future.

Alex stayed at Emilia for a few hours before he had to head home and get dinner ready for Aiden and Maria’s family.

“I love you.” Alex said kissing her as he got into the car.

“I will ring you soon.” Emilia said and Alex understood that she needed a few days alone to gather her thoughts together.

“I will miss you.” Alex said sighing as he started his engine.

“I know, but it will only be for a few days Alex.” Alex nodded and gave her hand a squeeze before letting go. Emilia blew him a kiss as he drove away.