Four

We race down the dimly lit hall, our footsteps echoing off the walls. Chase still has his hand locked in mine as we run. My breath comes out in labored gasps and although we haven't been running for long, I feel myself struggling to suck them in.

I really wish I would've participated in PE.

"Hurry!" Chase tells me, and I feel myself being dragged along by now. I pick up my pace, nodding frantically. The thought of what we just witnessed spurring me on.

"What if they didn't see us?" Nico questions, tripping slightly on her heels as she runs.

"Well, then, we're getting in our cardio!" Chase yells out. He glances towards me, "Some of us really need it," He says quietly, tugging on me for emphasis. The only response I can manage is a glare.

"They definitely saw something!" Karolina voices, she passes me and Chase and I catch a glimpse of her eyes which are wide and fearful.

"Way to go, Molly!" Gert chides, Molly flinches from the impact of the scold.

"I said I was sorry!"

"That does nothing to help our current situation!" I pant out. Molly at least, looks guilty enough.

We all stumble into the stairwell, jumping up two steps at a time. But when we reach the top, the secret entrance has closed. My eyes widen, that's not good.

"Shit! Which one of you guys closed the door behind us?" Alex says, glancing at us as if the answer is on our faces. Nobody coughs up though.

I let go of Chase's hand, "That doesn't matter right now, we gotta get out of here!" I say beginning to push on the door. Alex joins in, but our combined weak stature does nothing to help move the door.

"It won't budge! It must be locked," He says, turning his phone's flashlight on as does everyone else.

"Don't take this the wrong way, Wilder. But a little upper body strength may help... On second thought take that anyway you want," Chase smirks, pushing on the door. But his grin drops, when the door doesn't make any sign of moving. His arms drop to his side and he leans against the door, "Heavier than it looks,"

"What a man," I snort, he glares at me.

"Everyone, come on! Let's push together," Alex instructs and everyone jumps to follow his orders. But Molly turns her back, I see her chest heaving for air.

"I hear footsteps," She gasps. Suddenly she's squeezing through us, shoving the door open. We all fall to the ground on the other side, glazing back down the hallway. But, I continue to stare at Molly in awe, as the glow in her eyes dies down, and she stares in wonder at her hands.

"What the—" The door to the secret passageway, shuts on its own. I force myself to direct my eyes away from Molly. I gasp, "Well that answers one question,"

"Let's keep moving," Alex says, successfully drawing our attention away from the door and back to reality.

The reality where our parents might be murderers.

We sprint across the lawn towards the guest house. A million thoughts are shooting through my mind right now, but I ignore them in favor of running towards some sort of safety.

Alex arrives in front of the doors first, he stops and turns back at us, holding his hands out to slow us down for a moment. He points towards the guest house, "You guys get into the guest house, I have an idea—"

"Yeah? What if it's a stupid idea that makes things worse?" Chase grumbles. We all stop in front of Alex.

Gert rolls her eyes, "I don't see how that's possible,"