Chapter 25

Chloe was ready when Valentine knocked on her door later that evening. She had gone all out on her appearance, taking care with her hair and makeup while choosing a simple green cocktail dress that hugged her curves and black high heels that accentuated her long legs.

Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves, she opened the door with a smile.

Valentine stood before her, wearing a beautiful black suit that fit him to perfection with a blue tie for a bit of color.

"You look lovely," Valentine greeted.

"Thank you, would you like to come in for a drink before we go?" she asked, motioning to the apartment behind her.

"I have reservations for half past," he informed her with a smile.

Chloe nodded and turned to get her wrap and purse. "Where are we going?" she asked as she locked her door.

"I thought the Pink House. I have heard good things." The Pink House was one of the city's nicest and most well-known houses.

Valentine followed behind her as he led the way down the stairs, and when they got to the street door, he reached around her to pull it open. Chloe inhaled his scent, felt his warmth, and stopped, looking up at him.

"Is it odd that I'm so nervous?" she asked in a soft tone.

Valentine looked down at her with a serious expression. "No, I am too. We have both been waiting for this moment for a very long time. One I honestly never believed would happen and still don't believe I deserve."

"I feel like I'm nineteen all over again, and this is our first date." Chloe took a deep breath as she admitted that.

"You don't look nineteen. You look like a beautiful woman." He leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. "There, at least the awkward first date kiss is out of the way."

It was so like Valentine's old humor and charm that it made Chloe smile. "You didn't kiss me on our first date last time. I think you waited for almost a month."

"However, after that first kiss, it moved fairly quickly if I recall what happened correctly." His eyes met hers, and she felt herself blush.

"I knew what I wanted." Chloe shrugged.

"I was lucky that you did." Valentine held open the door a little wider, and they both moved onto the street. "Will you lead the way?" he asked.

Chloe nodded and started in the direction of the restaurant.

"I hope you don't mind. I put the reservation under your name. I thought it might draw less attention that way." Valentine took her hand in his, and the action made Chloe's toes curl.

"Do you mind?' he questioned, looking down at their joined hands.

"No." Chloe shook her head. Valentine was a powerful man, a man used to leading armies and waging war, and he was asking her for permission to hold her hand. Despite what he said, the gentle man was still there.

"Are you comfortable at Faye and Silas's place?" Chloe asked.

"I am. It's a nice apartment with plenty of privacy." Valentine nodded.

"Privacy," Chloe smiled. "That's important." She couldn't help but wonder if he was thinking about what they could do with so much privacy.

"A lewd mind, was that what you said you had now?" He laughed, and the rich sound made Chloe's toes curl.

"I don't know what you mean," Chloe said in her most haughty voice.

"The privacy is useful because I have nightmares, bad ones that sometimes make me call out. I don't want to wake anyone." Valentine said it in a matter-of-fact tone, but it popped Chloe's little bubble of the past that she had lived in since he arrived at her door.