Chapter Two: Just Like My Bed, My Heart is Cold

AN

Okay so it's boring, but a good kind of boring.

Tbh, I don't know when to really use the hook and sinker I've been planning on... huh.

It's so short I'm sorry.

Shore by Woodkid is like scary parallel to Schuyler/Lennox

*

She pops them twice a day- those stupid pills that act as placebo for Lennox.

She doesn't know what they are, she didn't exactly want to find out anyways. They're the size of her thumb, and if she really thinks about it, they make her hazy- like she's sitting in hot water, an itching kind of heat that makes her pick at her skin; just as she begins to relax, get used to the feeling that it's never going to fade away, a bucket of ice keeps on getting spilled over her head. It keeps her like that for a week, in and out, in and out, in and out of reality and back to whatever middle ground she can find between birth and meeting Lennox. (Because there is no life after Lennox. There is no life after Lennox. There is no life after- Schuyler, honey, you were screaming again.)

He asked about it, the therapist.

His name is Mr. Cadwell and he reminds her of Jezebel.

He knows when she's lying, when she's on the verge of crying, and when she's in the middle of trying to act tougher than she is. He makes her feel sorta safe, too. And that's a feeling she hasn't had the fortune of even beginning to feel since the night in Nowhere, with a Glock stamped into her hand, and a total femme fatale sitting beside her.

"Your dreams? Are you still-"

"Yeah, yes. I am," Schuyler's eyes don't stay long on Mr. Cadwell. She's tracing the veins in her hand because she doesn't exactly want to be in an hour sesh with him right now. Tessa had asked her to come over and Schuyler had agreed within a second, and no- it was not because Xavier had a smile just a hair dimmer than his.

"The prescriptions aren't helping?" He asks, his eyebrows crinkle together. They're thick like Jez's. She needs to stop thinking about Jezebel.

"Were they supposed to?" She looks up from her pedicured hands. In the past two weeks, Zaineb and Tessa have been running her up and down all of Bishop, visiting the farmer's market, buying from the little boutiques, even volunteering with the summer program for the kids. Yesterday they got their nails done at Mrs. Chauncey's salon, and because Zaineb and Schuyler had been best friends with Tessa for their entire life, they got the good tips half off.

"Yes, they should be helping. If not your mind, with your sleep, Schuyler," he crinkles up his nose. It reminds her Giles. Stop thinking about them.

"What are you writing down?" She asked it calmly, smoothly- in the tone Mr. Cadwell wanted to hear. She knows how to get out of this therapy, just tell him the opposite of what she's feeling. But, she doesn't. Her dads are paying for the suit and tie, Mr. I'm-a-real-doctor-maybe-possibly-technically, so she isn't going to waste their hard earned money.

"A new prescription," he doesn't glance up from her. Whatever he's writing, he's writing it slow. Like he wants to make sure she can read his cursive, which in the last four sessions, she learned could be sloppy.

"What is it?" She wonders. Her eyes go to his khakis, their an inch short and it makes her kind of laugh. It's kind of a lonely laugh and she decides she doesn't like it, so she shuts up.

"The prescription?" He replies, his eyes are fixated on the paper. Not on his patient, but she knows he's listening for the pauses in her breath, the hesitance in her words that could be the most important factors of 'Is she okay?' or 'Is she just lying?'