°chapter thirty

"What did you just say?" Harvey breathed out, speaking quietly but with a hint of anger

"He... he had me on some kind of-" Before I could finish, Harvey wriggled past me, his eyes and balled fist aimed at Dylan. While I admired Harvey's guts, this wasn't the time to commit a crime before we entered a trail. Especially my trial. I grabbed Harvey's sleeve, pulling him into me. He stared at me in confusion and I yanked onto the lapels of his jacket, Harvey's lips crashing on mine. He froze, but melted into it and after a moment, we separated. "Please... I can't... this is my trial. If you hurt him, he'll ruin this for us." Harvey nodded, his fingers tangled into mine.

"I'm sorry I... he hurt you. That son of a bitch deserves a lot more than a punch."

"Yes." I  said firmly. "He deserves to get his ass kicked into jail." We both glanced at the sign indicating where our trial was about to take place.

"The drug, it should be on the doctor's papers..." We both thought the same, but I glanced at the clock, both me and Harvey beginning to step towards the room. "I'll text Jessica..." He types on his phone and we head on inside, pausing before we entered.

My chest tightened and I looked away, taking a deep breath. "Hey..." Knowing he shouldn't show our affection to each other in front of the judge, Harvey's eyes softened as he spoke. "We'll do this. Come on..." We walked in together, both of us looking for the rest of the firm. 

They weren't here. 

Was something wrong? 

Did they mean anything they said to me?

And with the bang of the gavel, the trial began.

I saw the look of courage on Dylan's face - he was ready to use my life and my weaknesses that I had shown to him, against me.

The judge was ready and armed with my fate. As was the jury. I didn't know what to do. Harvey's kindness and understanding had gotten me through everything so far, so what was stopping him and his love from keeping me from losing hope?

I had thought for too long, and it was time for the prosecution to bring in their first witness.

"Your Honour, I would like to bring in my first witness. Someone which Amelia Steele had known about for a while. Someone very, very close to her." I frowned, wondering what on earth they had up their sleeve. "Mr Daniel Murphy please!" My heart stopped, know that my worst nightmare had come through. I knew exactly what he had planned.

Dan stepped out and held his hand over the bible, swearing he'd tell the truth. But only tell would tell on whether he was my friend.

"Daniel, would you say that you and Amelia were friends?" He glanced at me, then back at the prosecutor.

"Yes. We were very close. We'd been friends for years." I smiled just a little.

"Would you say you could've been more than friends at times? Maybe even when Amelia was married to Dylan?" Dan hesitated for a moment, then straightened himself and responded.

"We were good friends."

"Do you ever get drunk at times? Maybe fool around?" She didn't allow him to speak. I could feel his anger rising inside him. He hated pressure. "Did you decide one day that you would sleep with Amelia?" Harvey immediately stood up, urging the judge to stop the accusations.

"Your Honour, badgering!" He shouted over the lawyer's words as she pressed him and I stood up with Harvey concerned and pissed that she would do that to him. 

 "Did you ever kiss or sleep together with her consent, and get her pregnant?" Harvey banged his fist on the table as the judge and lawyer began to talk over each other, but finally, it became to a halt. Although, the words that escaped Dan's lips, was something entirely unexpected. 

"We just kissed!" The lawyer smiled and stepped away.

"I rest my case." She sat down and so did I. Harvey stayed standing, so he was able to interrogate  him. 

"B-but, it was before she married. And we agreed it meant nothing!" Dan bowed his head for a moment and tears began to fill my eyes. Pressure was always the one thing to get people to admit to something - even if at times, it wasn't true. Lawyers were able to twist it in ways where people looked guilty when they weren't.

"Daniel. Can you confirm, since you've sworn your truthfulness, that you slept with my client?"

"She was married, I would never... No I didn't." Harvey walked the table, picking up a piece of paper.

"This, Your Honour, confirms that the Dylan was the father to Amelia's child." The woman stood up beside Dylan.

"Objection! The first pregnancy showed that, however the second has no results." Harvey scowled at her and turned to the jury.

"My client suffered two great losses. She had..." He paused, looking at me sincerely. "... two miscarriages, from where she had sought out help from a friend. The fact that she wasn't able to be consoled by her own husband, tells you how she was in an unhappy marriage. Can the jury see that Amelia is the victim here, and not this poor excuse of a husband?" I smiled a little, both feeling elated and sad that I had accepted to listen to that.

Harvey sat down next to me, subtly taking my hand under the table and squeezing it. The judge nodded his head and lifted his gavel. 

"We will have a ten minute break." A loud thud was heard through the courtroom and Harvey stood up.

We glared at Dylan, knowing how much more there was to come.

° ° °

Thank you so much for 14K reads ❤️😊