Chapter 29

The station heads topped the line, followed by Gireau and Lady Serena, with Wyeth and Amele showing off their children, Rober, and Dame Meniere ending the welcome train. 

Earth's leaders watched as galaxy world leaders bowed respectfully to the young empath on the captain's arm. Several saw faces pale, colors change, or fear seem to flood the air, saw species straighten, or collapse, in her presence. They bowed to Dame Meniere, but the reaction to the empath seemed exaggerated. 

Serena and Meniere exchanged amused glances as they picked up on the thoughts of the leaders of the young species. 

Gireau called everyone to attention and introduced his wife, the Lady Serena. "There are some rules for us to go over, some guidelines and expectations. Dame Meniere here," she gestured to her left, "and Rober, Emperor Wyeth's empath," she motioned to her right, "will help maintain the peace. Dame Meniere is a foremost expert in diplomacy and politics. World leaders from all over the galaxy respect her input and advice." Serena held up a hand and placed it over her heart.

"I grew up on Earth. My mother sought refuge there, and we found safety. As a result of the foresight of some of our council's leaders, I was placed in such a way as to bring today about. My father, the pirate king, and former president Green, massacred each other. They sought the slaughter and annihilation of any who stood in their way. Green, for the fear that drove her. Rafel, for the greed of power. Their lack of forethought has been a boon to us now." 

Gireau rejoined her on the dais. "Liam Gireau has captained the United Alliance Space Exploration Vehicle One, otherwise dubbed the StarKiller, for the past ten years. We have welcomed peoples, species, and lives that we never expected to engage with, under his leadership. It was an unanimous vote to come together under his watchful eye, to host these talks here, on Station Une. Is everyone still in agreement?"

She waited for the ayes, wondered at the nays. "There is some dissent. Speak up or we move forward." 

Someone at the back of the room cleared their throat. "Isn't that man your husband, Lieutenant?"

Serena grinned at the speaker. "Aye. Captain Gireau took me to wife some three years ago. What of it?"

Blackens stepped forward. "You won't play favoritism, Lady?" 

Serena scoffed. "My husband has some of the strongest mental shields among any of the humans."

Blackens laughed. "It's true. Lady Serena taught those of us willing to learn. We are able to erect mental shields to prevent mental attacks." He looked at the room. "Lady Serena sent me ahead to infiltrate this station, to see to the evacuation of all peoples. Under her direction, I planted the vidblasts to be aired from here, under the president's seal." He strode to the front of the room. "Captain Gireau is the most tolerant captain, the least xenophobic man I know. A hero of the Battle of the Terrors, a trusted and respected leader, I'd follow him to the ends of the earth. The universe." He laughed self-deprecatingly. "I did....The galactic world leaders know what it means to have a Lady in attendance. I think the hesitance, the reluctance, is from our own world leaders?"

 He stared at each individual in question. They flushed and looked away, refusing to meet his gaze. "All in favor of Captain Gireau and Lady Serena hosting us?" Hands went up all over the room. "Any questions?" He pointed at the Earth leaders. "Do not allow your own prejudices to prevent your engagement from history in the making." He jumped up on the dais and nodded to the captain, sweeping Serena into his arms. "My Lady." He kissed her cheek. "Are you ready for this?" 

He noticed the whitening around her lips, the tightening of her fingers, and carefully handed her over to the captain. "Captain Gireau, with your permission, I call this meeting to order."