Chapter II

I opened the front door to Greg's house and was greeted by the familiar sight of peeling paint and empty needles. I expected to immediately come to face with a fuming Greg as soon as I walked through the door, but him not being there brought me only a hint of relief since I knew that something was off.

I checked his usual spots but came up empty. I then decided that I would have to check his bedroom, the one place I was never allowed. I knocked for an unknown reason before entering. The view that graced my eyes terrified me. It was Greg, lying with a needle sticking out of his arm, dead. I screamed before running out of the room.

I called 911 and the events that followed was a blurry mess of the police arriving, being asked a bunch of questions, being taken to the station, being asked more questions, and then sitting in a lobby as they tried to figure out what to do with me.

Hours later a police lady with blond hair and kind hazel eyes asked me to follow her to her office. The office was cool so I shivered slightly as I entered but warmed up quickly and focused my attention back on the woman in front of me.

"Please, take a seat Mia," I complied quickly so she went on, "As you know, since you are still a minor, without a legal guardian, we would usually have to send you to an orphanage." I knew this was coming so I had already prepared myself for the shock of the situation. What I hadn't prepared myself for, was that she wouldn't be done speaking after she told me that. "Luckily, we were able to track down an older brother who was willing to become your guardian so you can go live with him instead of in an orphanage. Isn't that wonderful news?"

"I would be if I had a brother," I mumbled as I tried to comprehend the words that had just come of this girl's mouth. I quickly regained my composure and was able to properly respond "Listen lady, I don't know what you're on, but I'm an only child and whatever shit you're trying to pull with me for some sick kind of entertainment isn't appreciated."

"Mia, I assure you what I have told you is true. It appears that you were separated from a young age so it would make sense that you don't remember but that doesn't change the fact that it is true and that you will be flying out in two hours to your brother's residence." Way to be sympathetic. I guess her 'kind eyes' are just for show.

I was struggling to believe her and had slightly zoned out as I thought about the prospect of having a secret brother, but her last statement brought me right back to reality. "I'm not going anywhere. Plus, even if you were telling the truth, I have to get my stuff and say goodbye to my friends so no, I'm not going to go along with your shitty plan."

"Your brother has requested you arrive as soon as possible so your things will be sent via mail. I understand that this entire situation has been very intense and crazy for you but this is for the best and a social worker will check on you a bit after you arrive to see how things go so if there are any issues, she will help resolve it."

I sigh but nod in understanding. I was shocked by my own response since I wasn't usually one to give in easy, but I had had a long day and the chaos had taken its toll on me. I desperately wanted to sleep but was told I should wait until I was on the plane to do so.

The blond lady had passed me on to a man with emerald eyes who was huge, especially standing next to my under five-foot self. He brought me to an 'airport' that was actually a place for private jets, one of which my brother apparently owned. How rich is this guy? I was wondering a thousand similar questions as I made my way to the steps that led up to the luxurious jet.

The interior was stunning and was made of mostly white with black and brown accents. I stood in awe for a bit before a flight attendant politely asked me to sit down. Soon after I did the plane took off. I had never been on the plane before so between freaking out and enjoying how awesome the view was, I didn't need to think about where I was headed and the life I was being thrown into. I did however find time to remember that Jay had no idea what was happening and I didn't even have any connection to message or call him with.