Chapter 1

"Kayla! Kara is here" Dad called softly from the other side of my door. I stood in front of my full length mirror, staring at the reflection hardly recognising myself.

"Coming Dad" I called back. I took one more look, examining the bruise on my rib just below my bra line. I should be able to hide it until it fades. I threw on my black denim shorts and a plain blue boyfriend tee that tied up on the side, showing just the slightest amount of midriff. Sweeping my long blonde hair into a side braid and a quick brush of mascara. If I can at least look put together, no one will be able to guess I'm falling apart on the inside. I slipped my flip flops on and grabbed my purse, glancing at my phone I saw I had a message from my best friend Kara.

Hurry up lady! I'm waiting out the front

Gosh this girl was impatient. I didn't bother with a reply. With one last glance I left the room, making my way downstairs I could see my dad reading the paper by the window. He wasn't fooling anyone that he was broken and he really didn't need my problems on top of his. He was a good dad, he loves me, just stuck in his own depression. Walking over to him I planted a kiss on top of his head, "Bye Daddy, I'll text you later ok" he glanced up with an empty smile and a nod. I heard an impatient beep from the driveway, rolling my eyes I ran outside to join Kara.

"Hey girl! What took you so damned long? And is that seriously what you are wearing to the party" my best friend said looking me up and down disapprovingly.

"Chill out, what's the hurry? And what's wrong with my outfit, I'm cute" I said as I took in her outfit, tiny bootie shorts and a crop top that didn't leave much to the imagination. See my best friend, while I loved her dearly, was certainly on the promiscuous side. She didn't settle for just one guy, like ever. She had an amazing body and knew how to use it, deep brown eyes and amazing silky brunette hair, not to mention eyebrows and cheekbones to die for. I was the opposite, I was happy go lucky, didn't wear a lot of make-up, my blonde hair was usually in a ponytail and I liked to be comfortable, cute, and beautiful in my natural state. Together we went by KK, we balanced each other out and were practically inseparable. She was the crazy one and I would calm her down. She often said, why is it ok for guys to sleep around but as soon as we do it, we are labelled sluts? Regardless, she took the title and claimed she was going to enjoy her last years of high school.

We arrived to Harry's beach house where the party was being held. It was in full swing already, the crowds of teens pouring out to the beach behind the house. We parked and made our way inside, fighting through the crowds to the back deck. We stood there taking in the view, trying to find our usual crowd when some hands snaked around my waist, making me freeze at the touch, until I heard his voice, "KK! Glad to see you here, wasn't sure you made it out alive after that epic party your brother threw last weekend" It was Mason, he was on the basketball team and one of my best friends, while Kara was my other half, Mason was my best guy friend. I leant my head back against him, turning to greet him with a kiss on the cheek. "You can't take us down that easy! The summer has just begun!"

"Oh get a room you two!" Kara exclaimed, "But first, get us a drink!" I laughed, Mason and I hadn't ever hooked up, despite many people at school thinking we had and it was often a joke between our friends.

"Drinks are this way, the guys are down by the bonfire. Let's go." Mason grabbed our hands and lead us to the kitchen where we each poured ourselves a vodka lemonade and grabbed a couple of jelly shots each, then found our way to the rest of our friends.

It didn't take long for Kara to find a lucky guy to hook up with for the night, I was left with Mason, his best friends Jason and Harry. We were casually chatting about summer, the end of junior year and what awaited us next year for senior year. Then the conversation turned yet again to the party my brother hosted. I mean it was a crazy party, it was no surprise it was still the talk of the town, I just wish I wasn't there to hear about it.

"So, when are you going to start dating again Kayla? I saw you leaving with your brothers friend, Garret, on the weekend." Harry asked, I tried to remain calm. Act casual Kayla.

"Nothing's going on. My love life does not need to be a topic of conversation here" I tried to shut him down.

"Hmmm, if you say so. He was checking you out all night, then I saw him follow you to your room" he said it so casually, flipping his blonde shaggy surfer hair to the side with a smirk on his face. I tried to keep myself composed, but I need to leave this conversation immediately.

"I'm going to the bathroom" I suddenly said, leaving before anyone could say anything. I could hear them behind me, wondering if they said something wrong. Usually I was pretty open about hook ups or who I was seeing.

I made my way to the house, not before a figure standing by the back fence alone caught my attention. I hadn't seen him before, he stood there so casually, dark blonde hair, jean shorts and a surfer singlet. I could see he was built through his singlet, beer in hand. He was incredibly good looking and the sight of him gave me just the slightest flutter in my stomach.

He didn't smile, he almost looked bored at the sight in front of him. He saw me checking him out and returned the gaze, his eyes however were void of any emotion. I walked on by, assuming I would never see him again and continued inside the house.

Instead of the bathroom I went to the kitchen where the alcohol was. Downing a couple of shots, with the beats of the music I started to feel the hurt in me disappearing and the familiar light-headed feeling that came as the alcohol took hold of my body. I head to the dance floor, loosing myself in the music.

I had been dancing for a while when I felt a pair of arms around me, turning to see Mason. "Always my knight in shining armour" I threw my arms around his neck.

"Kay, you ok? You never drink this much."

"New me I guess, dance with me Mason!"

"I think you've had enough, why don't you come and lie down" My head spinning, I decided to follow him, not that he gave me much choice as he practically carried me upstairs. We entered one of the guestrooms and he lay me down on the bed. "Lay with me, Mason". He looked at me, knowing full well that he and I had never crossed any lines before. He didn't lay with me, instead he sat on the edge of the bed looking down at me, moving the hair from my face to behind my ears. "Why have you never kissed me Mason? Everyone always thinks we are a couple, but you have never once even tried. Am I that repulsive?"

"Kayla, you are beautiful. I would never want to ruin our friendship"

"Maybe that's why you should be my first, I couldn't regret it then." I said more to myself than to him.

"Kay you are drunk, you don't know what you are saying." I started to drift off to sleep, but not before I'm sure I heard him say, "you have no idea how special you are Kay."

***********************************************************************************************

Thanks for reading! This is my first story and I'm relatively new to the wattpad world! Please comment or vote if you like it, it gives me the motivation to continue <3

2022 update- this story is sweet and all, a nice light enough read, but not a true reflection of my writing style now. I'm not sure I can bring myself to edit it. So please don't give up on me based on this story 😬😬