15 (but really its -124)

"All I'm saying" --Chaos tapped a crystal ship against the board-- "is that it would make more sense for us to send the troops up the east coast than from the west." The token joined the rest of the fleet on the eastern coast. I sighed and moved each one back.

"You do realize you're talking to the daughter of a sea god, right? Water's kinda my area of expertise," I said. "The west might take longer, but it doesn't have a ten percent chance of making it through." The final ship rested in my hand, and I turned it over and over. Cool, smooth crystal nearly slipped through my fingers, only to be caught at last second. "I mean, when the local government uses that ocean as a way to discreetly get rid of disgraced captains, you'd think that would be a pretty clear sign that you shouldn't be sailing that."

"You can literally control water."

"And?"

"Never mind." Chaos looked out the cracked window, onto the frost blanketed streets. "You know, we could send some scouts up there first."

"What happens when they get captured?"

"They get captured, probably tortured, and I'm glad that scouts have no family."

I scowled. Of course he doesn't care. "You know, you keep saying that this is a test of my leadership abilities, which we both know is complete and utter bull." I jabbed an accusatory finger towards him. "And yet you keep trying to put training wheels on me, not to mention the weird handle thing on the back of the bike."

"Oddly specific metaphor, but go off I guess."

"Chaos."

He scoffed, leaned back until his chair touched the wall and crossed his legs. He didn't say anything for a time. My irritation festered, spiking when he swept onto his feet, tossing his coat over his shoulder. "Pack this up," he said. The floorboards creaked under his feet, and his hand rested on my shoulder as he passed by. "I'm going to get a shower...And if you really think that's the best option, I'll take you and a couple others north to do recon, okay?"

I nodded, barely wincing at the too hard squeeze he gave my shoulder. He remained there for a moment, hand still on my shoulder, and more words probably on the tip of his tongue, before sighing. He left, letting the door close behind him with a gentle click.

As carefully as I could, I lifted the strategy board off of the table and sat it in its box. Chaos never ceased to be a bundle of issues shuffling around in a humanoid approximation, did he? And I wasn't talking about him leaving me to clean up something he started. This wasn't the first time, and I highly doubted it would be the last. For him leaving this here, to not caring about those beneath him, to not knowing his own strength.

And it's not like he's a bad guy either. It's just- He's so disconnected from everything, even by immortal standards. Fifty years of being his second in command, and not once have I seen him react to a massacre or genocide or places outlawing Taco Tuesday.

I tossed my braided hair over my shoulder, only for it to fall back and nearly get caught in the box as I closed it. Because of course. The polished wooden container fit awkwardly in the crook of my arms, corners digging deep into the interior of my elbows. It made for an awkward trip down the stairs. One made even worse, when I tripped down the stairs.

Pieces scattered across the floor. My feet slid as I scrambled forward, desperate to gather them all. I couldn't lose a piece. I couldn't. One, two. I counted and recounted as I found each one, before freezing in place and looking at the door. Chaos stood there. He stared at me, sighed, and moved to help me.

"If you needed help, I would've been more than happy to assist you, you know."

"It was my fault."

"Yes, and yet the gods make others clean up their messes. And yes, I'm aware of how much of a hypocrite I'm being right now." He sat back on his heels. "Is that all of them? I have two."