October

TW: Suicidal thoughts

I'm sitting, bored, in Chemistry, with the teacher drawling on about something science related, when he walks in. He speaks quietly with the teacher for a minute before they both turn around and face the class.

"Quiet everyone, this is Thomas Walker. He's new here, so please be nice," the teacher looks around the room and then turns to Thomas, "you can take a seat next to Isabella, at the back."

I perk up when I hear my name and I stare as Thomas starts to make his way over to where I am. He has brown hair - like mine, but a little lighter - that seems somewhat familiar but I cant quite put my finger on it.

It's only when he plops down on the chair next to me, do I really get a chance to look at him. Those eyes are what give it away; they hold the same emptiness as they did that morning.

"Do I know you?" He seems confused. Probably because I haven't stopped staring at him yet. I shake my head to clear my thoughts.

"Um, yeah I think so," he doesn't say anything so I continue, "the bridge?" I whisper the last part.

His eyes widen and this sudden look of realisation crosses his face. He turns his head but I think I see his cheeks go pink a bit. I feel bad for bringing it up and making him feel embarrassed. That was not my intention at all.

"We don't have to talk about it," I say in a rush, "I won't ever bring it up again." I want to ask why he was there in the first place, I want to know if he would have done it if I didn't show up when I did, I want to make sure he's okay. But I don't ask him anything. Its not my place, I don't know him. All I know is his name.

"Thank you" is all he says and I nod and smile in return. We don't say anything for the rest of the lesson.

~

The bell for lunch rang about five minutes ago. The halls were pretty much empty now. I was at my locker with one of my best friends, Olivia.

"Come on, hurry up. I'm hungry!" she whined in a childlike manner.

"Yeah, yeah, give me a minute." I was searching for my headphones I dumped in here yesterday so carelessly. There's no way I was walking home from school without headphones. I finally found them tangled up in a big mess.

"Ah, yes! Found them, let's go."

"Finally! I'm starving!" Olivia fell into step beside as we made our way to the cafeteria. It had been a little over a week since my awkward encounter with Thomas in Chemistry. I have had Chemistry a few times since then but we have been actively avoiding any sort of interaction with each other.

"I wonder what they have for lunch today." I try to make a little conversation to get thoughts of Thomas out of my head.

"We probably won't get to eat anything because you took so long!" She sticks out her bottom lip as if she's about to start crying. I know she's only kidding so I give her a little shove as we get to the entrance of the cafeteria and go in.

We get in line and we talk and joke about nothing in particular until it's our turn. After getting our food we scan the cafeteria for the rest of our group and once we find them we make our way over.

As Olivia and I are approaching the table I see our other friends; Sarah, Chase and Dylan. I smile widely as I go to sit down in between Chase and Dylan. My smile quickly fades as I look up and see who sits opposite me.

"What is he doing here?" I ask mainly to the boys sitting next to me. They both put their hands up in surrender. I turn back to face him, "What are you doing here?" I don't mean for it to come off as rude but it does.