Ten

Eliza's hope was short-lived. It seemed her comment about bad luck had cursed her, and everything that could possibly go wrong, went wrong. She supposed it was only natural for things to get worse after having one of the best days of her life with Rosalie at the beach.

It had all started the morning after, sleep hadn't come easy with her mind too full of excitement and memories to sleep. Rushing around the house, she attempted to get ready and eat breakfast at the same time. Still eating her toast, Eliza jumped into her car only to find it wouldn't start.

Time was against her as she tried once again to start the car, shaking her head in disbelief. She wondered idly if Alice would be able to see her situation and send help. Closing her eyes, she attempted to telepathically send a message to the vampire, even though she knew it definitely didn't work like that. However, she still felt disappointment when she opened them, and nothing had changed. Deciding it was better to be late then to not show up at all, she began the 50-minute trek.

Rosalie was mildly alarmed when Eliza didn't arrive at the school on time. Her eyes checked her watch frequently, and she decided to send her girlfriend a message. Emmett, sensing the growing concerns, lightened the mood and reminded her that human's required sleep after all. With a smile, her fears were allayed and she was swept into the masses of students. She still hoped that Eliza would reply to her text messages, not knowing that she had left her phone at home in the rush.

It was almost exactly 50 minutes later when Emmett looked outside the window and witnessed the disgruntled human on her way to the office. Her hair was plastered to her face and she was almost shaking with the cold. Sneaking out his phone, he took a photo out of the rain covered window and sent it to his family.

By the time lunchtime rolled around Eliza was still soaked from the rain and her only source of relief came from the ladies in the office who had taken pity on her, letting her wait next the radiator until next period started. Despite how badly her day had gone, when she watched Rosalie enter the cafeteria none of it mattered.

Her golden hair fell in perfect curls, and her lips were the most perfect shade of pink Eliza had ever seen. Fond annoyance was the expression on Rosalie's face when she arrived at the table, with Emmett in tow. Watching her easily brush through the crowds, the human was reminded of how content she looked on the beach in the glow of the sunset.

"Did you enjoy the walk this morning?" asked Emmett, unable to contain his laughter.

Eliza simply groaned in response, equally as incapable of not reacting to the Cullen's infectious laugh. He slid a large black hoodie across the table at the human wordlessly, which she accepted gratefully, shrugging off her own sodden jacket. 

Emmett may have been amused at the visible frustration of his sister's mate, but he also wanted Rosalie to be happy first and foremost. It seemed to have worked as the vampire gave him a genuine smile.

"Isn't it like an hour walk to school? Why didn't you ring me?" Rosalie asked, feeling guilty about not knowing her girlfriend needed help.

"It's technically just under an hour, but I completely forgot my phone and my car is just refusing to start." Irritation lacing her voice. "Wait. Where are the others?"

"Hunting. I'll give you a ride later and then I can check out your car." offered Rosalie.

Eliza wasn't sure how much affection Rosalie would be comfortable with in public and settled with a light squeeze of her ivory hand. Touches between the pair now being reminiscent of the sea breeze, with a wave of calm falling across them both. 

The table then resumed conversing easily; the world around them ceasing to exist. The arrival of the human filling the gap that was missing, with the emergence of a more fulfilled Rosalie being unexpected but welcomed.

Eliza was beginning to think her day was getting better, watching the trees speed past from the passenger seat of her girlfriend's car, their hands entangled easily in the space between the seats. However, any positive thoughts were entirely wiped out when they arrive at the car. 

Rosalie had stressed she could definitely fix it, although it would take at least a few weeks for her to get the correct parts. The human hadn't even listened to what the problem was, torn between admiring Rosalie's talent at mechanics and mourning the temporary loss of her brother's car.

As silly as it was, using his car made her feel closer to him. The memories they shared filled the cabin alongside whatever music she played. To lose this piece of him was heart-breaking, even if Rose was adamant she would fix it. It also added to the guilt she felt for having very little to offer the immortal in return.

The girls were still stood on the driveway next to the broken car when Henry pulled up, precisely 3 hours before he normally returns. His eyes held nothing but pity, and it was an expression the human was almost getting used to.

Sensing the awkwardness, the vampire excused herself and told Eliza to call her later. She could tell from the way Henry was wringing his hands that he did not have good news and was desperately concerned about what it was going to be.

Henry's news devastated the human and when the conversation was over, she retreated into her temporary room to let her tears flow. He had been kind enough to open his house for her, she always knew it wasn't going to be permanent. She also couldn't begrudge him for taking the work opportunity offered to him, even if it was across the country. It just brought her crisis about the future forward by two months and her position remained as unsteady as it always had been.

Her tears fell easily and dampened the cushions beneath her. Breathing was getting harder as she remembered all she had lost and all she had hoped for. She had no money and very few realistic prospects for the future. Her shoulders shook when her thoughts moved to Rosalie. Their story was only starting, and it was too much to ask her family for help.

A persistent tapping broke her from her internal breakdown. She moved to look out of the window, jumping in surprise as Rose's pale face popped into view. Wiping the tears from her face, she tried to hide her emotions as she opened the window, letting her soulmate enter her room.

"What happened?"