Chapter 1: Francis Monclair

Chapter 1 : Francis Monclair

" one day the blood won't flow so gladly , one day we'll get still "— Lorde

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was 8 when it happened, the day I lost my mother. The day I became Zero Hargreeves.  Me and my mother lived at the Hargreeves Estate , she was the live in Maid , of course I lived with her so I to helped.  For three years , I dusted , broomed and picked up after the seven children often wishing I was the eighth.

When I was alone in my room at night , I'd try to move things with my mind , or conjure fire , anything , but nothing ever came. I wasn't one of them , I could only dream of being a part of them and there was a certain member who never let me forget it ,Five.

I got along with most of the kids even Diego who at times could be pretty insensitive,  though I was closest with Vanya,Ben, and Klaus.  I couldn't stand to be around Five for more then five seconds.

His superiority complex was nauseating and he never missed an opportunity to tell me that I was ordinary. Even nicknaming me " zer0"

" one day I'll get powers to and I'll be number 8". I told klAus and Ben as I painted klaus's nails a sparkly blue. I grabbed a cotton swab and applied green over his lids. I took my feathery scarf and draped it around his neck. He had stolen one of Allison's skirts to complete the look.

" so what do you think". I asked handing him a mirror

" I am Fabulous". He sung  causing me and Ben to chuckle. My friendship with Klaus cane very naturally, my friendship with Ben however not as natural. I spent the first year and a half at the Hargreeves Residence terrified of him.

One day I'd snuck off to watch the others train , I nearly cost my mother her employment with sir Reginald. I'd never seen Ben's abilities before, and when I saw those flying tentacles I screamed bloody mary .

After a stern talking to from my mother , Sir Reginald and Pogo I never snuck in again. But I avoided Ben like the plague. I had nightmares about him. He soon noticed this and tried to talk to me but I escaped his every attempt. It wasn't until Klaus locked me and Ben in a closet together for half the day that I realized there was nothing to fear from him.

" What do you think Benji?" I asked

" I think Allison gonna go ballistic when she finds out you stole another one of her skirts". Ben stated

" steal?? I like to think of it as borrowing it sounds a lot less illegal that way". Klaus said causing me to laugh