Chapter 7

Naoko woke up the next morning to a missed call from an unsaved number. She rubbed her eyes drearily and glanced up at the time: it was almost noon. She groaned and stretched her arms high above her head, arching her back with a satisfying pop. Sighing, she rolled over to the other side of the bed and drowsily hit the 'Call Back' button. The phone rang once before it connected.

"I cannot believe you."

She sighed and rubbed her eyes again. "You know you're not supposed to call me so often. And what are you talking about?" she asked tiredly.

"That was your big plan? Literally just throwing the match?"

"Would you rather I have stayed and gotten my ass beat?"

"You should have seen everyone's faces when you stepped out of the ring! Even Horus was disappointed!"

"Yea, I don't really want to talk about it."

"Huh? What do you mean? Is something wrong?"

"Not really, I'm just tired."

"Is it because of that blonde guy you were up against?"

"Why is that your first guess?"

"I don't know? He looked crazy pissed- I assume he gave you some trouble afterwards?"

"Maybe your quirk is actually mind-reading? But yea," she sighed, "it's irritating."

"Aw, so you're sad cuz' you had a fight with your roommate? Poor baby- do you think you'll live?"

"I'm hanging up."

"No, wait! I take it back!"

"Did you have something important to say or what?"

"I was gonna ask if you wanted to meet up today! Since it's your day off and all."

"I think you know the answer already."

"You suck, you know that?"

"Not my rules."

"Ugh. It's been so boring around here..."

"Find something to do- I don't know."

"I'm rotting awaaay..."

"Good to know, now go away before you get caught."

"Fine, fine, be like that," she huffed indignantly. "See you."

A flat tone played through the line as the connection dropped.

Naoko sighed and rolled back over. She stared up blankly at the ceiling, as for a long moment, her mind fell peacefully empty. She closed her eyes for what felt like only seconds before the ring of a doorbell snapped her out of her daze.

Quickly glancing at her phone, she saw nearly an hour had passed.

'Fantastic.'

Faint footsteps came from downstairs before the door opened and distant voices rose indecipherably.

"Katsuki! Your friends are here!" Mitsuki's dampened voice called out.

A door squeaked open just outside.

"What do you want, nerd?" the familiarly aggressive tone demanded, clearer this time.