Prism

Twenty-Something - Chapter 1 - Prism

Why couldn't you accept the party was over?

Two girls throwing up in the bathroom and still, the party was over.

Five boys popping pills and still, the party was over.

Some drunk college kid preaching that "The party didn't end until you let it."

But still, the party was over.

Taking your hair into a simple high ponytail – distressed denim jacket feeling extra weighted, covering the monotone velour of your little black dress, you carry yourself – or whatever was left of it onto the porch, leaning the spine of your back up against the veranda. There's a firefly buzzing somewhere close, you hadn't seen it, but its saffron glow lit up the remnants of dawn. Paper thin wings reflecting shades of blue and green over the tired glaze of your eyes. It didn't really matter whether or not you wanted to be here right now, because nothing in your life had ever been on your accord, you lived in the hands of others and now you were a good old twenty-something, falling asleep on a strangers porch with two glasses of cheap, red wine in your system.

Someone is laying on the floor – that's exactly what they're doing, limbs spread out like a star as their side profile stares up at lilac clouds, they're actually more of an indigo, piercing white lights and one giant torch-like glow replicating the moon as the centrepiece. With every bit of might you have left, you sway over to the gravel road, kicking a few pebbles around until you frown. They hadn't noticed you. "What are you doing?" Your arms fold like origami, knees bending so that you can inspect their appearance further. He's wearing a cream polo shirt, red and cobalt lines on the collar, a pair of simple blue jeans and long, brown hair – his eyes are glazed over, but you instantly find warmth in his chestnut iris. "I'm counting the stars." He isn't whispering, but he sounds awfully quiet and for a moment you think you're dreaming it, nonetheless, you ask to join and he pats the empty space beside himself. "How many have you counted so far?" You mark each one on your fingers, giving up once both hands had balled into pointless fists.

"I lost count at seven, but I'd rather just look at you now." He smiles, fragile points in his skin making way for the dimples on his cheeks. A mole becoming more prominent as you shuffle closer, subconsciously beaming at his cinnamon-like fragrance. You exchange names and that leaves you a step closer to a downpour session you could no longer hold in all it would take was a-

"What's on your mind?" Jungkook smiles.

You squirm slightly, not entirely sure why a sunshine like haze had bloomed a cage of un-watered roses in your chest. "I'm afraid that I'll never have my life together – do you ever think like that? I don't know...It's just something that's always on my mind and I wonder whether or not I'm too sensitive, maybe too dramatic? I tend to overanalyse things but then if I miss anything out and act on it, I could humiliate myself. You know that saying? 'Every man assumes the colours of his surroundings' What if we're all living in a world of grey but assume it's this multicoloured paradise simply because grey would be far too depressing." Jungkook's eyes crinkle just as his nose does, it's extremely subtle, but it eases the riddled tension in your shoulders. "The way I see it, our world is whatever colour we want it to be." He giggles lightly. "Some days I want blue skyscrapers and purple nights and others..." "Others?" You stay intrigued. "I want orange souls and pink horizons, green tears and mauve mornings." How random, you think to yourself, noting the way his hair blows like fragile strings in the oncoming wind.

"Look!" He yells, pointing up at the sky. For some reason the both of you are holding hands, gazing up into the sky and for a moment you wonder how stupid you must've looked, chasing mindlessly after a shooting star, a car could've come and whacked you both into oblivion, but for the first time in forever,

You didn't care.

"You need to make a wish." He sighs, closing his eyes in tandem to your own as you both wish silently, trailing under the sky until it's finally sunrise and the burning palette of fiery topaz and pearly pinks have faded into a much gentler sea tone, cotton clouds parting like wisps of aged dandelions.

"Good luck on being twenty-something." Jungkook waves, his feet leading him further and further away from you as you prepare the sharp sting in your chest, clutching the cold skin of your elbows. "Good luck on being twenty something too, Jungkook." He nods, a beam of satisfaction leaking into his scarily symmetrical features.

Instead of kicking yourself for not running after him that day, you awake with a bright, livening freshness to your face, opening the weak blinds of your bedroom window. Morning mists collecting condensation against the large-pane glass. Maybe being twenty-something wasn't something to worry about at all.

After all, you still had the good old thirty-something to look forward to.

A/N - This story was really random but I hope you enjoyed! It was inspired by the song - '20 Something' by SZA! Who else can't wait for her new album? :D Anyways, please upvote and comment if you enjoyed and PLEAAAASE check out my other stories, I have something for everyone on my page, let's stay happy and healthy! - Moonchild with luv! <3