5

Iceman's heart shattered when he heard; Maverick was officially dating Charlie. He tried his hardest not to show how much it affected him, how much it hurt him.

He never told Maverick how he felt because he was starting to accept that he didn't feel the same way he felt for him.

And after Goose's death, Iceman wanted to be there for Maverick, but he didn't know how to.

"Mitchell." Iceman said, trying to hold himself back from being a jerk.

Maverick held onto the sides of his locker. He didn't say a word.

"I'm sorry about Goose." Iceman paused, "Everybody liked him."

Another longer pause, 

"I'm sorry." Iceman was about to start walking out until he heard Maverick begin to sob. Ice took a step closer, which was enough for Maverick to just turn around and bury his face into Iceman's chest. Ice hesitantly wrapped his arms around him. He didn't wanna risk being too affectionate, since he didn't want to give away that he was in love with Maverick.

Iceman held Maverick for awhile as Maverick sobbed, his hands clenching tightly onto Iceman;s shirt as his tears continued to soak into Iceman's shirt.

After that day, Iceman didn't see Maverick. That was until Graduation. Maverick came in a bit late, but he was there. He came straight up to Iceman and Slider.

"Congratulations." Maverick solemnly nodded, shaking Iceman's hand. They didn't break eye contact the whole time.

"Thank you." Iceman smirked lightly.

Then Maverick turned his head to say congrats to Slider.

Iceman's heart was still broken because of Maverick being with Charlie. Nothing would change the fact that Iceman was hurt.

But Iceman threw his feelings out the window for minute when they were told of crisis they had to depart early to take care of. 

His heart raced as they were sent off to the aircraft carrier. He was just hoping Maverick wouldn't get hurt, since he wasn't at the top of his game since Goose's death.

Iceman feared the worst.