Therapy: Nico

NICO'S P.O.V

Nico di Angelo's my name, and being depressed is my game. Sorry, I had Rice Krispies this morning.

Well, ignoring that, my name is Nico. I have a sister who goes to my school, and my parents inrolled both of us into a thing called Therapy Circle, because we were both had been bullied. My sister was bullied for being black, which is completely uneccesary, very rude, and those shit-heads have clearly never heard of equality. I was bullied for being a loner and being gay.

Imagine coming out. You're shy to, because you don't want to be treated differently. You finally come out, and people act like you killed their mother. They treat you like shit. That was what it was like for me. I was the first person in our year to come out. Followed by a girl called Lavinia Aismov who came out as lesbian, a girl called Ivy Poissen, also lesbian, Alex Fierro, who came to the school, unafraid to say that she(?) was gender fluid. A girl called Drew Tanaka, bisexual, a boy called Magnus Chase come out as pan and the latest one who came out maybe six months ago, was a guy called Will Solace. Will and I started dating, and because he was one of the popular kids, along with Drew, people started accepting people in the LGBTQ+, like they should've always done.

I used to have a lot of panic attacks, and I considered committing suicide a bunch of times. I saw a window, and wondered what would happen if I just jumped. I saw a car, and wondered, what if I just leapt in front of it.

Those were very happy times for me as I'm sure you can see. A time where the thought of leaving the world was always there. Ever present, ever hated, but never left to live alone. I cried myself to sleep. The only reason I never killed myself, was because of Hazel, actually. When I told Hazel, she accepted me. She treated me the same, except she'd come to me and gave me a makeover sometimes. She'd sometimes take me away from my dad when we were having a conversation that annoyed me, and she helped me take my mind of by talking about how handsome The Rock is. She knew how to make me smile.

I told Will after roughly a month of dating, which is how long it took me to trust him. The night I told him, he looked at me in the eyes, and hugged me. He whispered into my ear, "I don't care what everyone else says or said about you Nico. I love you Neeks. That's never going to change. You're the only person who's ever made me feel like this, and I only wish you'd told me earlier. I'll always stick with you Nico." That was the first time we'd said, 'I love you'. He treated me the same, which I loved about him. That made it better all until...

I was up late watching BoJack Horseman on Netflix, when I heard the sound of something crashing. Now, regularly, I wouldn't care about someone having even broken into the house if I was watching BoJack, but the sound came from Hazel's room. I instantly paused the episode and sprinted for her room, which was thankfully a door or two away from mine. I saw my parents speeding towards her door as well.

I was in a second or two before my dad and mother. When I walked in, I saw her through the thin strips of light coming from the window. I froze. She was having a panic attack. It's impossible to explain panic attacks. It's like someone's choking you. They have their hands wrapped around you neck, making it impossible to breath. Thousands of thoughts are rushing through your head, but you can't think straight. You're being blinded, if that makes sense. Like, you can see, but you can't. That's what she looked like. She looked like she was blind. It looked like she was drowning. Her limbs were sprawled around, trying to pry away the choking hands. Her eyes were like that of a deer in headlights. Gigantic and round. Unable to process what was going on.

My mind instantly went back to all of the times that I'd had panic attacks. Every single time I struggled with my emotions and memories. My dad pushed past me and ran towards Hazel. He was talking to her, asking her what was wrong. Mom was trying to as well, but it wasn't working. "She's having a panic attack." I told them in a monotonous voice. My dad looked at me with recognition in his eyes. He looked between me and Hazel. He slowly let go of her.

I walked towards her. I wrapped my hands around her. I whispered things that comforted me when I was having those horrible nightmarish episodes. She had a few after that, and I started getting them as well, and my parents after a month and a half decided to enroll both me and Hazel in group therapy circle sessions. It's called 'The Circle' which is just like that one horror movie known by the same movie, and I'm unsure as to whether or not that was purposeful. Probably not because that might scare people who've watch-. Sorry. I'm ranting. You see, I have ADHD so my mind constantly wonders to the most random thoughts.

As I was saying. What was I saying? Oh yeah! Therapy. So, I was casually strolling to the building where the therapy sessions would be taking place, when I saw the organiser of the therapy circle thing, one of my teachers, Mr. Brunner, along with one of the schools biggest troublemakers, Leo Valdez. Valdez was trying to help Mr. Brunner, who was permanently paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheelchair up the stairs of the building. Now, Valdez wasn't particularly weak. He however wasn't particularly strong either. Leo was very scrawny, and would obviously need help pulling a full grown adult male up ten stairs.

I rushed towards the pair. Leo looked at me, his face had a slight sprinkle of sweat inconspicuously strolling down his face. I picked up one of the wheels and him another one, and we just barely managed to lift it up together. Once we reached the top of the stairs, Leo grabbed the handles of Mr. Brunner's wheelchair and started wheeling him towards the room that we'd be having the group therapy session in.

The room was annoyingly far from the group therapy room, so it probably would've taken around five minutes to get there. I decided to spark conversation. "So, Leo, what're you here for?" He briefly looked at me, probably quite shocked that I was the one that started the conversation. "My mother died a few years back. I have nightmares about it. You?" I looked at him. He always looked so happy. Seeing him with a frown was very rare. I'd never seen him with one before, and I doubted other people at school had as well. "I was bullied for my sexuality." I curtly responded. The rest of of the wheelchair ride, we didn't talk. He seemed to know that pity wasn't what we looked for. What was it I looked for, I didn't know, but what I did know, was that it wasn't pity.

Leo entered the room first, and I shadowed behind him. He brought Mr. Brunner to the other end of the room, before he sat down in the only seat left. In the room, there was Annabeth Chase, Perseus Jackson, Jason Grace, Piper McLean, Frank Zhang, and obviously, Hazel.

What was gonna happen here?