Chapter 29

Lydia

                  The palace dungeons were cold.
                  Even with a Silver Burner in the cell next to me.
                  And the last time I was down here, I was burning with revenge. How futile that all seemed now that Ben was dead. I wanted to see the Scarlet Guard torn to pieces like that gang that night. But deep down I couldn't deny the truth: Ben took his own life. No one made him do it.
                  And we were still on the same side as those yahoos.
                  My hands lay limp on the concrete on either side of me. I refused to look at them, stained with Silver blood.
                 My Maven's blood.
                  "He'll be fine," Cals voice broke the silence. I couldn't tell if he was bitter or relieved, "He has an army of healers in his service."
                  I just nodded. Maven would come to let me out, I was sure.
                  Unless Elara got to me first.
                   This had to be the end of her rope, her precious boy putting himself in danger for me. I only hoped Maven saw it too. Despite what he wanted me to believe, I knew he didn't want to do what had to be done.
                    "He'll be here to let us out soon," I said to Cal, still staring straight ahead.
                    "Not me. I escaped execution twice now. Maven won't let that happen a third time," he didn't sound wholly concerned.
                    "He won't hurt you. Not if I ask again,"
                    "Lydia, you don't understand how unstable Maven is. He may love you, but you're in denial about where his head is. I know, I was too. It's okay—"
                    "I know he's unstable, Cal. But you have to know by now what he'll do for me,"
                    "I told you—"
                    Now, I turned my head to look at him, incredulously, "You really think Maven jumped in front of that knife thinking 'No big deal, I have healers'?"
                    Cal just shook his head.
                    "You're all each other has left," I continued, "I know he hurt you, but he needs someone to be there for him,"
                    "He has you. He has his mother,"
                    "Elara's a bitch and Maven knows it. As for me, I only satisfy his physical needs—"
                    "Ew,"
                    I gave a long, dry laugh.
                    Before we could continue our chat, a guard stepped up to my cell. "The king requests your presence in his chamber," he said as he opened the door.
                    I stood to follow him, giving Cal a wink, "I'll be back soon, Princy."

                    Somehow, I still couldn't let myself believe Maven was alive until I was standing in front of him. He looked unsteady on his feet and paler than usual, the bloody suit replaced with his nightclothes, but he was alive. There were only a few healers hanging back, so he didn't hesitate to pull me into a hug.
                    "You're okay," I whispered, balling up his nightshirt in my fists.
                    "Yes, just fine,"
                    "I thought you were dead. I thought I lost you...for a moment there,"
                    Maven pulled away, "No, just tired is all." His blue eyes did look strained as they struggled to focus on my face.
                   I grabbed his hand, "Let's go to bed then. You can have Cal released, I'll put on my nightgown, and then we'll—"
                    "Lydia, we can't. You have to go back to your cell,"
                    "Wh-Why?"
                    "I have to get the story straight, officially pardon you. It's a bunch of paperwork, but I'll get to it right away," he started for the door, practically falling into the doorknob.
                     I gently took him by the shoulders, half supporting him, "No, no. I'll go back to my cell, you get some sleep and sort it out in the morning. Cal and I can wait until then."
                     Maven fixed me with a steely gaze, suddenly seeming very wide awake, "Lydia, Cal's not getting pardoned. He tried to kill you, he almost killed me. Surely you see now he's nothing but trouble for us."
                     "Please spare him...for me,"
                     "I can't keep doing things 'for you.' It has to be done. As long as Cals alive, you're in danger as much as I am. I'm doing this to protect you,"
                     Before I could get another word in he turned away, addressing the guard outside the door, "Take her back to her cell."

                      Cal didn't seem surprised or even concerned while I relayed what Maven had said, panicking myself. "We have to do something," I pleaded.
                       "There's nothing we can do. There's no way out of these dungeons," at the look of fear on my face, he added, "The Scarlet Guard will figure something out I'm sure."
                        "You don't seem too thrilled," I commented.
                        "The Scarlet Guard saved me from Maven once and we have the same goal: killing him. But apart from that, I know them as you do: a bunch of Red extremists. They just want to sow chaos, like with your friend, Benjamin,"
                       "Then fuck them then," I said. Cal raised his eyebrows at my reaction, "Let's save ourselves."
                       "How do you plan on doing that?"
                       Instead of answering I asked, "If I get Maven to spare your life, will you give him a chance at redemption?"
                       Cal snorted, "Heh, yeah, sure."
                        "Promise?"
                        "Yeah, yeah. Promise,"
                        "Good," I heard footsteps coming from the stairway. Judging by the gait and click of the soles, it was Maven. I dropped my voice to a whisper, "Okay, whatever you do, don't use your ability. Then he'll know which one is the real one."
                        "Which one is—what?!"