CHAPTER SEVEN

Strange.

Stevie slumped into the back seat of Happy's stolen limousine beside Ace Lang, who she'd just helped to clamber out of his bedroom window. The course of their journey was set to take them back to the Avenger's Facility, in hope of the pair being able to create somewhat of a 'Time Machine.'

"I've read a lot about your father's work. Without it, the world would still be a shit hole. Not that it could get any worse than it is now..." She kicked her feet up onto the seat in front of her, pushing her large sunglasses onto her face as she turned to face her new acquaintance. "So you think you can help me, how, exactly?"

Ace gulped and avoided her stare. He was clearly intimidated by the fact that he was in the Stevie Stark's presence, and he wasn't going to risk messing things up. "Well I'm not exactly proud of it, but, I've been known to be good at stealing things from time to time." He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly – his reply earned a raised brow from Stevie.

"What do you mean, steal? "

"I, uh, I mean... I stole these" He wrestled around with his backpack, eventually pulling out three cylindrical syringe-like tubes filled with a blood-red liquid. "Pym Particles." Stevie let out a quiet gasp, carefully taking one of the bottles. "My dad keeps spares in the basement... I wasn't supposed to know about them, but I've gone down there to see his suit a few times; His Ant Man suit is awesome, by the way. Not that you... care?"

Before Stevie could answer, the car swerved off of the road and onto the sidewalk, crashing harshly into the sidewalk and a cluster of trees. "What the hell?" She shoved the car door open and stepped outside, shoving her sunglasses into her pockets and cracking her knuckles nervously.

"Are you familiar with the consequences of messing with time?" The kids both swivelled around to face the newest addition to their conversation. Stephen Strange. "Because the last time I checked, alternating the timeline left us in quite the predicament, didn't it, Stark? "

Stevie looked at the man as though he were insane – she had seen him before in pictures and videos online – most of them consisted of him vanishing into thin air or appearing through portals in strange places such as the supermarket or the empire state building. Speaking of portals, he was currently wandering through one and beckoning for the children to follow him.

"Come on then." He sounded annoyed, "I didn't really want to do anything today, but your mother and the spider-guy will kill me if I left you and your boyfriend alone with Pym Particles." The pair hesitantly followed him and the portal swirled closed as they entered his New York apartment. "Now, would you like to explain why it is, exactly, that I've found the kids of two superheroes in a self-driving limousine with the organic key to the manipulation of time?"

Ace shot a worried glare in Stevie's direction and shrugged, cowering backwards so that he was hidden behind her. 

"Do you wanna take a guess as to why we have Pym Particles, doctor?" She mused.

Stephen rubbed his chin sarcastically, "Time Travel?"

"No shit, Sherlock."

He sent the teenage girl dagger-eyes, not daring to break eye contact. "You're just like your father." He deadpanned, earning an eye-roll from Stevie. "Well, would you like anything to drink?"

The two teens were suddenly seated on a couch in a different room, both clutching empty glasses. "What the-" Ace's surprised expression grew wider as the glass slowly filled with chocolate milk, causing him to flush embarrassedly. "Um I prefer, uh, b-beer?"

"You're fifteen." Stevie quipped, "and you're named after a playing card."

"My dad really likes close-up magic!"

Stephen sat down opposite them, "I'll bargain with you." He grinned, "If you give me the tubes, I'll let you be on your merry way, and-"

"And what? What's in it for us?" Retorted Stevie.

"And... I won't tell your parents what you were about to do."

Ace gave Stevie a sympathetic look, knowing how much finding her father meant to her. She scoffed, leaning back in her seat. "I don't care if you tell Pepper. She'll understand completely."