Sun on the Horizon

Luffy's POV

~•~•~•~•~

I could feel the gentle breeze blowing my hair back and rustling my straw hat that hung on my back from the string around my neck. The sun was slowly touching down on the horizon of the sea, as if the world was calming down. My breath was caught in my throat, because although the world was calming down, I wasn't. Angry and hateful words had spewed from my mouth in a moment of uncontrollable rage that had bubbled up inside me. Everything I had kept bottled up all spilled out all at once and my precious nakama drowned in them.

A choked sound escaped me against my will, and my fingers tightened around the bark beneath me. I was so weak, I couldn't even face them after I had come to my senses. The first thing I did was run off the ship and onto the island we were docked on, running until I was lost and then climbing up a tree, ending up where I was now; sitting on a thick branch and looking out at the sunset. "Damn it..!" My hands moved off the branch to grab my hat and pull it onto my head, holding onto the sides like a lifeline while the shadow covered my eyes. "Damn it..." I couldn't cry, I shouldn't be the one hurt by this. So why am I? Is it because I hurt my Nakama? But that doesn't make sense, I shouldn't cry, it feels wrong.

But as my thoughts pass tears slide down my cheeks slowly, over quivering lips and clenched teeth, building on my chin before falling down onto my lap, leaving small wet spots on my jorts. Through the blurry haze I can see the sun slowly sinking into the sea, bidding farewell and making way for the moon to shine.

It was faint, the sound barely making its way over the sounds of the crickets and the breeze, the slowly fading chirps of the birds; but it was there. A voice.

I froze and looked up and around through the branches and leaves, doing my best not to make a sound. Then I heard it again, this time clearer. "Senchou! Come on, we want to talk!" Zoro. No, no no no, not him- not anyone! I'm not ready to face anyone yet. I've faced enemies stronger than me, been on the brink of death too many times to count- but this is what scares me? It's because I can lose them, lose my nakama, my crew. I just need a little more time, I just need-

"Hey, there you are." Zoro stared up at me with one piercing silver eye from where he stood at the base of the tree. "Hmp" The quiet noise came from Zoro's throat as he climbed the tree, taking a seat on the branch beside me.

I can't do this. My eyes darted away from his lone one and to the ground, planning where I would land once I jumped off the branch. But before I could get any further than that a warm hand gripped my upper arm, just above my elbow.

"Don't go runnin' off again. We need to talk first" Zoro spoke in a steeled voice, not letting on any emotion.

Yell at me. Call me out. Tell me I'm horrible. Tell me you hate me. Tell me that it's okay. Tell me you're leaving the crew. Please, tell me anything, just give me something to grasp onto. Don't leave me floating here, desperate to grab onto anything, everything at once, I need something to ground me.

My swordsman pulled me to his side. "Are you okay? We got a bit worried- I don't mean physically either, we knew you'd be fine in that aspect unless you managed to find the river miles from here." Zoro took a deep breath and pat my back. "Sorry I just- we're sorry for pushing you to tell us what was going on back there. You clearly weren't ready and- and we just kept pushing, and we don't blame you for what happened and- shit. I'm sorry I'm just not good with this whole-" he waved his hands around, one arm still resting upon my shoulders. "Thing."

"You're not-" I couldn't help but look him up and down. "Not mad? I was so rude though, I said so many things I shouldn't have and-" I smacked my face with the palm of my hand, groaning.

He laughed. He actually laughed, and that sound made a small blossom of warmth bloom in my chest. "No, no we're not mad. We know you didn't mean any of it, just worried about you." He sighed and looked out at the sun that was still slowly lowering into the ocean, almost fully engulfed. "Now, let's get back to the Sunny" Zoro smacked my back and jumped down from the tree.

I was stunned, I still couldn't believe it. But then again, I could. They were my nakama, and it would take a lot more than a little outburst for them to leave.

I jumped out of the tree and saw Zoro walking toward the town instead of the beach. "Shishishi! Zoro, that's the wrong way!"

Yeah, everything was going to be alright.