P A R T - S I X T E E N

Chapter Sixteen: The Couture Wedding
____________________________
Saturday, December 25th.
Christmas Day

"... The most remarkable moment in life is when you meet the person who makes you feel complete. The person who makes the world a beautiful and magical place... The person with whom you share a bond so special that it transcends normal relationships and becomes something so pure, that you can't imagine spending another day of your life without them."

The officiator's voice echoed throughout the large modern barn where the main ceremony was being held. The arched ceiling was decorated with hanging vines and twinkling lights, to match the wedding arch that had been woven tightly with ivy, all dusted white to match the wintry, rustic alpine theme of the whole occasion. Shani and Peter stood opposite each other, holding hands as they gazed into each others eyes as guests watched from their seats...

"Dearly beloved and honoured guests... We are gathered together here to join Peter Couture and Shani Ladipo in the union of marriage. This contract is not to be entered into lightly, but thoughtfully and seriously, and with a deep realisation of its obligations and responsibilities..." The officiant continued as Alice and Amara stood to the left hand side of the wedding arch, holding back their tears as they smiled and watched intently. They held peony bouquets, and had their make up done to match the aesthetic of the wedding, with natural tones and blushed cheeks, nude lipsticks, and frosted headbands to decorate their hair that had been styled in big waves.

"The bride and groom have prepared their own vows, which they will now read to each other." The officiant continued, and Alice couldn't hold back her tears as her father began speaking openly, reading his vows from a piece of paper he'd pulled from his pocket. He didn't say much most of the time, but to hear him speak from the heart had tears rolling down nearly everyones cheeks. Amara let go of her bouquet to free up one of her hands, taking Alice's so they could comfort each other quietly. They squeezed them, listening to him sharing about finding life back in the real world difficult, although once he had been introduced to Shani she seemed to make it feel so much easier.

Magnus watched Alice from where he had been placed to sit beside Peter's parents. He had barely let his eyes drift from her, aware there were a few people he did not want to make eye contact with, so instead he found a quiet sense of comfort keeping his gaze on her. Her cheeks were flushed and she continued to sniff quietly, wiping away her tears every now and then as they then listened to a tearful Shani then share her vows. The bride and groom were holding hands now, and Amara watched with blurred vision as she tried not to cry but the tears came anyway.

"And now... Peter, do you take Shani to be your wife? Do you promise to love, honour, cherish, and protect her, forsaking all others, and holding only unto her forevermore?" The officiant asked.

"I do." Peter replied, his calm voice echoing through the barn. He sounded so certain, which only seemed to make eyes water even more.

"And Shani, do you take Peter to be your husband? Do you promise to love, honour, cherish, and protect him, forsaking all others, and holding only unto him forevermore?" The officiant then asked and Shani smiled, allowing a tear of hers to slide down her cheeks.

"I do." She smiled, feeling happiness beaming out from inside her chest. They exchanged the rings next, and everyone watched in awe and a peaceful hushed quietness as they did so.

"... it is now my honour and delight to declare you both married. You may now kiss the bride." The officiant smiled, and Shani and Peter, with their rings now on, leant forward and kissed each other. "I am pleased to present to you all, the newlyweds, Mr and Mrs Couture."