tips for writing

I just found that these tips have really helped me. Some of them I have heard from others, and some I actually experienced. Many of these tips are if you are writing a longer or more serious story rather than a one shot or less serious book.

These tips are to help you focus and achieve your full writing potential!

1. Make sure to plan what you want to write. Get a sort of summary of the story. Make it detailed in order to explore the story and get a good idea of what you want happening. You're going to come up with new ideas as you write, and that's ok. Just try not to stray too far from your plan.

2. Create an outline. Write a short summary of the chapters in the book. If you can't figure out some chapters now, that's ok. Write them in your outline as you go. This can help to prevent you mixing up details. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

3. Eliminate distractions from your environment. If you can't get rid of some distractions, relocate to another area. Have your mind devoid of all thoughts exept what you put down on paper.

4. Have a separate space for writing. I have noticed this and heard it from a book. If you do a lot of work on your couch instead of relaxing on it, you will associate the couch with work and feel the need to work when you sit down. So find a good place you think you can relax and write without disruptions. Once you keep writing there, it will be automatic and you will be able to focus and think about your work.

5. Always bring something to write in and write with. You'll come up with ideas at random, and many times you won't be able to focus and incorporate them in the story just yet. Or when it's for a chapter too far into the book. In this case, it's a good idea to write down what you come up with, because it's likely you will forget it. Many of your ideas may ended up being cast off, but save them on case you plan on putting them somewhere else.

6. A cluttered space equals a cluttered mind. Make sure your place is neat and tidy before writing. I could go on and devote an entire chapter on how to keep tidy. For now, I will say this: fold your clothes, clear the floor and anything else that doesn't belong. Then, you are clear of the thought that you still have to clean.

7. Don't watch or read a one shot before you write. If you do so, you will rush your writing. I have noticed this myself. If I watch a show or something, I under-describe because I feel like the reader would know and imagine any gaps a leave. That's what happens in shows. If I read a one shot, I will unleash too much and not build up the story.

8. Silence or music? I like to work in silence and solitude, but I have noticed myself to be extremely productive when I work in a cafe or something. Certain environments will be good for you to focus. If you need background sound, about music with a catchy beat or lyrics. These will distract you and disrupt your writing flow. Try classical music or environmental sounds. A good app for that is Rainy Mood. There's also a website so they and look for it.

9. Don't discard because you're afraid to loose readers. If you feel like people will stop reading, figure out why. In one of my fanfics, I created a new ship with my OC and I was sure people would be angry, but everyone liked it! If a scene seems inappropriate, ridicules someone's beliefs or ideas, then yes you can take it out. So think "why" before you delete.

10. Don't hold on to scenes that don't serve the story. Have you ever taken the time to watch all the deleted scenes of the movie and wonder why they didn't keep it? It's because it didn't serve the overall plot or story as much, or another scene could establish an idea or a character. If you feel guilty because you love a scene and can't part with it, write it down and put it in a "deleted scenes" chapter at the end of the book.

11. REVISE!!! I cannot stress how important this part is. Don't just write a chapter and then publish it. Make sure to read it in these different ways: as a reader, as an editor, both on paper and electronics, and repeat. When you read as a reader, you get a sence of the overall message or story. If you do this and hunt down punctuation errors at the same time, you will miss parts that may be misunderstood or certain grammar errors. If you want, you can install the grammarly extension for your browser, or the keyboards for your phone. If you read on paper though, you will catch things you would miss on an electronic and vice versa. But what is really important is that you don't just skim over the paper. Take some time and read through it as if you have just started reading it.

12. Bring life to your characters. Beforehand, plan their personality and emotions. Don't make them react the way you want to, but more towards how they would react in real life. You can make their personality change throughout the story thought but not just so sudden and out of the blue. Something has to change within them, or something happens that changes their view of things.

13. Feel committed to what you write. If you don't feel motivated to write, or if it is stressful, try loosening your publishing schedule. If that doesn't do anything, try writing something else. That way you can actually put your full effort into it.

14. Don't make writing your first priority. You heard me right! If it's your first priority, you'll do it when you still have stuff to do. The fact you didn't accomplish your real responsibilities first will stay in the back of your mind, nagging you and drawing away your focus. If you do everything else first, you will be free to write, guilt free.

Those are all the tips I have for now. If you have a tip, please comment and I'll add it with credit to you. Also, tell me how these work. I would love feedback!