Grief

I stopped in my tracks. No. This couldn't be. This was all my fault. Linh's dead.

I looked over to Tam. His sister was the only family he cared about. And now she's gone.

I couldn't even begin to imagine his pain. What would I feel if Amy died? I shuddered at the thought.

"Tam, I'm so sorry." I whispered.

"It's not your fault." he said, his voice cracking, and I noticed his silvery-blue eyes had turned grey and dull.

"But it was my fault." I replied, tears pooling in my eyes. I then told him everything that had happened.

"You knew. And you didn't warn us." I could see the fire in Tam's eyes, the fire that was usually put out by Linh. But now she was gone, and it was my fault.

"I'm so sorry, Tam." I tried.

"Sorry doesn't change anything." Was Tam about to cry? I had never seen him cry. Ever.

Tam could never forgive me. I decided to do everything I could in my power to make it up to him.

That's when it hit me. The scroll! What if it could be used on multiple people? I could bring Linh and Ftiz back.

I quickly whispered my plan to the other 2, and Tam looked relieved. Still very angry, probably at me, but I knew he would work with me if it meant getting Linh back.

"YEAH!!! TEAM FOSTER-KEEFE-BANGS-BOY TO THE WIN!!!!"

Tam and I jumped to Keefe's sudden outburst. How Keefe managed to keep quiet for so long was a mystery.

"KEEFE!" I shouted. "Now is not the time for some rather... loud... encouragement."

"It's as good a time as any." Keefe said, and started singing a lullaby. Wait, was that right?

I laughed as I realized the lullaby was addressed to a gullon.

"Yeah Foster! That's it. Keep up the positivity!" Keefe said with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes. "Let's get to work."

I noticed Tam glare at Keefe, harder than the usual.

"Now isn't the time, like Sophie said, for your shameless flirting. Let's focus on saving my sister." And Fitz. I thought. We could do this. We could get them back. But we needed more help.

"We need more help. Should I hale Dex?"

A dark thought occurred to me.

"Oh my gosh. What if Dex is dead too? What if they're targeting all the members of the Black Swan?"

"NOOO! DIZZNEE! What am I gonna do without my favorite prank buddy?"

"Excuse me?" said Ro angrily.

"Second favorite." Keefe corrected.

I had almost forgotten Ro was here.

"We need to go find the rest of the Black Swan and make sure they're safe."

"I'll hail Forkle." Tam said.

I glanced around the room, looking at all who heard us. Tam, Keefe, Ro, and Sandor.

I could catch a glimpse of Tiergen watching through the doorway, tears in his eyes. I walked up to my beloved telepathy instructor and placed my hand on his.

"We'll get her back, Tiergen. Everything will be fine."

He gave a small smile.

"Ok people, start hailing everyone you know that could be in danger. Including your family."

My imparted went off violently. I jump at the sight, peering at it. It was Edaline.

"Sophie! You need to come here right now!" I could sense the panic and urgency in her voice.

"Edaline, what happened?" I ask calmly, but hysteria was slowly creeping into my voice. Edaline is never this frantic.

"It's Grady. He's walking towards the cliff. He's gonna walk right off the edge in only a few more steps.I tried yelling but he didn't listen. When I tried to stop him, he shoved me right aside! You need to stop him!" Edaline was growing more frantic and her words came out in a fast jumble. I barely heard what she had said. That didn't matter, my adoptive father was in danger.

I grabbed Keefe and Sandor's arms immediately and started levitating. Keefe helped me lift the 3 of us, plus Ro, and I plunged down towards the ground.

I hastily visualized Havenfield, and when the sky cracked upon I saw Grady walking towards the cliffs, steps away from walking right off.

"YOU HAVE TO STOP HIM!" Edaline cried.

"I can't stop him! He's too close to the edge!" I screamed as I ran as fast as I could towards the edge.

My hand was inches away from his back when he walked off.

No. No, no, no. This was not real. My father did not just walk off the cliff. He did not just plunge to his death.

Tears stream down my face.

I feel a hand on my shoulder. I try to brush it off as I stare down the long fall. A blur of color, Grady, was at the bottom. I didn't stop him, I just let him fall to his death.

It was all my fault

The hand on my shoulder tightened. I look behind me to see it was Keefe, glassy eyed.

"Sophie." He says firmly. "There was nothing you didn't do. It's not your fault. Don't let the guilt consume you."

I shove off Keefe and run towards Edaline. She...she looks broken. How people had described her to be when Jolie died.

"Edaline...mom...I'm so sorry. It's all my fault." I say, my voice cracking.

"Sophie I'm sorry but I really don't have the energy to deal with you right now." she said as she turned away.

My only family left was gone.

A/N: Sooo... we haven't posted in wayyyyyy to long. Many apologies! We'll try to update more often. But we also wanted to mention that we are participating in a debate between SoFitz and SoKeefe. We are obviously arguing for SoFitz, and if you want to see the debate it is on Marshmellowmelt4ever's account, if you want to check it out or debate in it yourself. However, you will have to ask permission and see if there are any available spots.