versus the great king

(tw: brief mentions of suicide and abuse)

"how's your leg?" seijoh's coach asked the tall, maroon-haired newcomer.

he gave a sweet smile and held up an 'ok' symbol with his fingers. "perfect! i'm good to do regular practice. it was only a light sprain."

i couldn't hear the rest of the conversation until some girls up on the balcony started screaming at him, "oikawa, don't get hurt!"

"kageyama," tanaka pointed at the new boy, oikawa, "who is mr. slim there? i am exceedingly displeased."

"that is seijoh's captain," daichi answered for him.

"oikawa is a super offensive setter," kageyama explained. "i'd say he's at the top of his class for attacks and team play. and he's extremely nasty."

"worse than you?" hinata asked him in shock.

"maybe worse than tsukishima," kageyama gestured over to the blonde who was drinking water, displeased he was being dissed nearby.

"that's awful!" hinata yelled.

"you know him," tanaka looked nervous, "so he's from kitagawa first?"

"yes," kageyama answered. "he was my upperclassmen in middle school."

as if he knew we were taking about him, oikawa turned to look as us and smiled, waving. "yoo-hoo! long time no see, tobio! having fun being the king?"

"i learned to serve and block by watching him," kageyama turned back to us. "he is extremely good. however, focus on the game for now. we are going to take the last set!"

"r-right on!" hinata stuttered nervously.

"and who might you be?" oikawa gained my attention by walking my way.

"mikaichi nakamura, who are you?" i responded simply.

"i'm toru oikawa, i'm sure you've heard of me," he smiled.

i shook my head, "your name is foreign to me. if you were as great as you seem to think you are, i would've heard of you, right?"

oikawa only smirked, clearly enjoying my back talking. "you are an interesting one. are you a manager? i heard karasuno has an... attractive female manager. that must be you."

i shook my head again, "that's kiyoko. i'm a player."

his eyes widened slightly at this while my face remained neutral the entire time.

"i'm excited to see how you play then, mikaichi," oikawa gave a condescending smile.

"likewise," i turned and went back to my group.

× × ×

a little over halfway through the third set we were still winning by one point, 15-14.

tanaka made another angry spike and hinata made a blind one right after that. then kageyama and tsukishima made a nice block.

daichi bumped the ball up, sending it to kageyama.

"i'm open!" i yelled and jumped, feeling the ball press itself into my palm as i brought it down hard over the net, hitting seijoh's court.

"nice kill, mika!" i heard tanaka yell enthusiastically. the score was now 24-20, karasuno.

one more point and we'll beat seijoh, ranked in the top four in the prefecture.

"don't get cocky!" onionhead yelled as he hit a hard spike straight to tsukishima, who accidentally hit it off to the side.