chapter one: space invaders

"whenever you think about someone a lot

it's because they were thinking of you first"

• ࿇ •

"I need your help tonight, E," Alexandra admitted, leaning against the cream-colored lockers that lined the wall of the school hallway. I sighed, rummaging through my book bag to find the little slip of paper with my locker combination on it that I can never seem to remember off the top of my head. The halls were crowded with students, chatting away as a means of an escape before they have to think about going to first period classes. 

"With what?" I asked in reply, glancing over at her while shuffling my books around in my bag, finally finding the slip of paper  buried under my folders. 

"I have this huge Chemistry test tomorrow and I need help studying for it. You know science is my worst subject," She explained as I shoved my U.S History textbook into my locker before slamming it shut. I surveyed the sea of students that flooded the hall and spot Nancy Wheeler talking to Steve Harrington, the most popular and attractive boy at Hawkins. If only he were single, I thought, biting my lip as I stared at him in adoration. 

"Hello?" Alexandra called, snapping her fingers in my face, breaking me out of whatever lovesick daze I was in. I shook my head and returned my eyes to hers. 

"Sorry, you said you needed help studying?"

"Yes, now wipe that drool of your chin, Eileen," Alexandra teased and I smacked her arm playfully before walking towards our first class of the day, passing Nancy and Steve on the way there. If I'm being completely honest with myself, I've had feelings for Steve since the 7th grade and they've never fully gone away as much as I try to suppress them. My freshman year when Steve was a sophomore, he helped me find my classes because I kept getting lost. He was so kind to me that day, but that's the only time we ever really engaged in a conversation. 

I glanced back at him as he looked happily at Nancy, a feeling of longing swarming in my chest, before entering my first period class. 

• ࿇ •

During class, I couldn't help but look over at Jonathan  Byers, the older brother of Will Byers, the kid that went missing last year under mysterious circumstances. Will was now being treated by my father - Dr. Samuel Owens - in the creepy old laboratory near the edge of the woods. I felt a pang of empathy shoot through my chest as I glanced over at him. I knew the pain of losing someone you love, but not the gratitude of gaining them back. I realized I had began to stare so my eyes returned to the notes sitting on my gray desk, letting my thoughts return to the topic of the class which seemed to drone on forever. 

After class ended, everyone exited the classroom as Tina Aczel gleefully handed out bright neon orange flyers stating 'Let's get shit-faced!' I read the paper over while walking down the corridor, not even realizing I was about to collide into someone. 

"Shit," I muttered as my books and I  tumbled to the ground, earning a few looks and snickers from the other students in the hall. 

"I am really sorry about that," A familiar voice chuckled nervously. I look up to see who I had bumped into and meet a pair of warm brown eyes belonging to the one and only Steve Harrington. He picks up my books and the orange flyer before offering me a hand which I gratefully took. He hands me my books, his eyes glistening apologetically. 

"Oh no, it was my fault! I should have been watching where I was going instead of reading some dumb flyer," I replied anxiously, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear after taking the books from him, butterflies swarming in my stomach. "Thank you."