25. The Aftermath

Song: To Bring You My Love - PJ Harvey

(edited)

---

Adelaide
—-

I was too distracted, the image of a pair of honey brown eyes and a silver mask embedded in my mind.

I looked down and realized something a little too late.

I still had his jacket.

---

Everyone scrambled out of the sweltering hot car making their way to the mansion, arguing and huffing.

I hadn't spoken to anyone about what happened, simply listening in.

We all filtered into the living room and I chose to collapse onto a comfy chair, crudely reminded of the gun still strapped to my back by it cutting into me. 

I unbuttoned the suit jacket and slipped the gun off of my body, throwing it on the coffee table with a loud clatter. 

Next, I slid the two knives I had concealed out of my dress, throwing them next to the gun.

The loud noise shut everyone up and drew their attention to me.

"Adelaide, how do you have that?" Malcolm asked, his voice shaking so slightly that I doubt anyone else in the room noticed it, but I did.

I dragged my eyes over to him with a cold and uninterested expression.

"I cleaned up."

Malcolm held my gaze for a few short moments before Jaekyung's voice distracted him from me.

"Malcolm, you said the gun wasn't loaded, shall we check?"

I didn't move my gaze from him as I spoke.

"Yes, lets."

I heard the gun being picked up by someone but I didn't look to see who it was. 

I already knew how this would turn out.

After all, I was the one that emptied the gun.

"No bullets." Romano's voice confirmed what I had already known and I analyzed how Malcolm's face relaxed at his words.

His eyes darted over to me, realization dawning on him.

Without breaking away from our stare off, I spoke.

"It's been a long night, get some rest and we'll talk about our shortcomings in the morning."

I watched Malcolm swallow and nod, standing up and leaving the room followed closely by Jaekyung and Jamie.

My eyes travelled to Romano who was in the seat opposite me and was staring with a dangerous look in his eyes.

It seemed like he was debating if he should ask me something or not.

"What do you want to ask me, Mano?"

His eyes narrowed at my statement but he answered despite it.

"Who's jacket is that?"

My eyebrows raised in surprise at his question. 

Out of everything he could've asked me, that was what he wanted to know?

I didn't answer his question, letting the silence that flowed between us answer it.

Silver was a secret I didn't want to give up.

"Adelaide, who's jacket is it?" He repeated the question and I could tell that he was frustrated with my silence, but that didn't make me break it.

I kept my mouth shut.