Eight

I don't see Harry for three days

I don't see Harry for three days. I don't exactly know why, but he never showed up in my room or anything like he usually does, so I just assumed he was busy.

Which is odd, considering that he's dead.

Today is Friday, and tonight is the party at Nate's house that Ria invited me to. For the rest of the week, both Ria and Jenna have dedicated themselves to persuading me to come. At lunch, it was all that they'd talk about. What's so great about this party, anyway?

When I ask them this at lunch on Friday, they both look at me with wide eyes.

Jenna leans forward across the table, lowering her voice. "Have you seen the size of Nate's house? It's almost like a hotel."

I raise an eyebrow. "So?"

"So, he throws the best parties. Literally everyone goes. Both of us are going, along with Max and Ava. Oh, and Zoe, Roy..." She rattles off more names that I don't know.

"Look, I'm sure it's fun and everything but I think I'll pass." I pick at a French fry on my lunch tray.

"You'll be missing out," Ria says.

"I'm sure I'll get over it." I force a smile.

Ria and Jenna exchange a look.

When I get home after school, neither of my parents are off work yet, so I have the house to myself.

I think about starting my homework and almost want to vomit at the thought, quickly discarding that option.

I look out the bay window in the dining room at the backyard. Across the vast green space I can make out the small gate and dirt path that leads into the forest.

Before I can decide against it, I push out the back door and walk through the yard, the tall grasses tickling my ankles. My father had said he needed to mow the lawn out here, but I like the grass this way.

I push through the rusting gate and begin down the path. It's so different to walk through the forest during the day than it is at night. The trees don't look as tall and dark, and the sun casts rays down through the foliage, lighting the path.

The walking distance seems longer now than it did when Harry took me here, and I wonder if it's because I'm alone now. I start to think I may be going the wrong way, but I soon see the top of the willow tree up ahead.

I step into the clearing, taking a moment to appreciate the beauty of it when the sun shines through it. The strands of the willow tree sway easily in the breeze, the two swings moving gently with it. I see movement out of the corner of my eye and look over to see three small rabbits hop out of the clearing. A silvery blue butterfly lands on a blade of grass a few feet away from where I stand.