Ava | Chap. 7

I held my chest, trying to calm my beating heart. I'd been waiting at the dining table for half an hour when a shatter echoed from the other side of the mansion. Cade instructed me to stay put while he checked things out, only to return a few minutes later with an unreadable look on his face.

He seemed distant, lost in the sea of his own thoughts as he stationed himself beside me. I remained quiet, unsure what to say or do while a set of footsteps resonated from the end of the hallway connecting the entrance to the dinner room. Gazing up, I spotted Alexandra calmly approaching us, curly red hair bouncing beautifully over her shoulders. Her cherry red lips lifted into a warm and welcoming smile, which I returned with a shy but thankful grin.

"I see you two have met!" She chirped happily, hoisting herself into her tiptoes to kiss Cade's lips. Then, wrapping her arms around his, she turned to me. "Sorry about the long wait hun, Xavier and Jace had a little..." Muffled words shouted from above turned our heads away. Alexandra sighed loudly. "Quarrel. I'm afraid he won't be seeing you today."

My heart lightly jumped with joy at her words as a bud of hope bloomed in my chest but I was quick to keep my emotions tamed. Cade and Alex exchanged a glance which seemed to echo my concerns, switching quickly to a warm smile as they invited me to stand.

"I will be escorting back to your mother once you've finished changing." Cade added as he bowed swiftly, mirroring that of a butler.

I was taken aback by the gesture, but ultimately reassured I wouldn't have to find my way through the village's streets once again.

"You're not going anywhere." A voice hissed from the hallway, pulling our attention towards a storming Alpha Jace. As he approached, I detected a strong smell of fear, anger and overall testosterone emanating from every inch of his skin- he seemed about ready to tear someone's face off!

I was quick to sit back on the chair, feeling my legs turn to jelly as he approached me, his glare turned to lazers burning through my soul. I couldn't bring myself to look up, compelled to avoid his gaze at all costs. Even then, my chest felt crushed under some invisible force as if some entity was about to burst through my rib cage.

Alex gave out an exasperated sigh. ''Jace the poor girl barely knows her way around, escorting her home is the least we can do.

- My bodyguard isn't going anywhere, and neither is she.'' His eyes bore into my skin, turning towards me with venom filled words. ''Father requested she remain home until further notice. Until then, not a word to the pack.

- And what exactly do you intend to do with her in the meantime, hm?'' A croaking voice rose from behind me, ripping a surprised squeal from my throat. Ignoring my reaction, the cloaked figure hobbled its way around me, enveloping the room with the scent of lavender, oats and citrus. An elderly lady revealed herself, long, silver hair cascading down to her chest when she pulled down her hood.

"She cannot leave.

- She can't be locked up either, Jace.

- To have the daughter of that traitor in this house is bad enough of a stain on this family, fath- I will NOT tolerate anymore."

I swallowed thickly, feeling my pulse skyrocket at the very clear mention of my father. A sudden wave of anger washed over me, storming at the back of my mind. Why does everyone seem so intent on hating me for what my father did? I never even met him! What do I have to do with all this...?

Anger turned to fear. Does he intend to punish me for my father's crimes?

''Let me speak to Xavier, he knows better than to question his Healer's words. In the meantime...'' It was the old lady's voice that pulled me out of my head, turning my attention to her when she gently placed her hand on my shoulder. ''Cade. Be a dear, can you cook us something to eat? What would you like to eat sweetheart?''