Chapter 2

I have been seeing* in-betweens* for about 10 years now. I try to help most of them, those who ask for it, but I never lend a hand to those who wanted to stay. Yes, it is wrong and selfish. I should help all of them crossover, that is my.. How should I say it? Gift or curse? I am somewhat destined to do that. But I never chose this kismet so I am still going to live my life the way I wanted to.

Right now, I don't see any of them. Well, I do see loads of them here but I force myself not to pay attention to any them. I have to- if I want to relish every minute of this rebellious getaway.

I am just starting to drift away with my thoughts, about whether my mother would be mad at me for going to my forbidden place or will she even notice that I am gone but somehow, I am still trying to make up an excuse once she discovered this escapade with my best friend, Sam, when a hand reaches for my shoulder. I suddenly lost my train and open my eyes.

"Hey! I have been calling you. I thought you have fallen asleep already so I rushed here," Sam chuckled.

I didn't notice her approaching. That is weird. I am always the vigilant one. Maybe I become so overwhelmed by the fact about the beach.

    "Sam! You startled me"
    "What are you thinking, Addie? You look so serious. I am so not used to that side of you." With all her sarcasm - I am almost always serious. "What? Are you still afraid?" she asked warily.

"No! Of course not! I never did, Sam. I am.. I dunno. Excited?" I did not even realize that I am smiling widely. That is Sam's effect, not only me but to everyone. She is like a ball of sunshine.

I can't even hide my excitement. It is like I just wanted to scream at the top of my lungs and jump up and down. I know that the joy is written all over my face because Sam just did what I wanted to do. She knows how much I wanted this- how much I miss the smell of the ocean, the fuzzy-feel of the sand, and just the endless horizon. Well, not much the deep waters that I drowned in, but I can live with that. Much more than this superficial longing, the beach reminds me of my simpler world with both my parents around.

My mother just became so protective of me after the incident and we also did not have any family trips afterwards. My parents' relationship was actually on the brink of falling apart and my drowning accident actually push it off the cliff. A few months after our beach trip, my parents go their separate ways and I was left in the crossroad, though physically, I am in my mother's custody.

    "I am happy for you," she said while hugging me tightly.

I am so fortunate to have Sam as my best friend. She is my only one and true friend. Everyone, except her, thinks that I am mental. Honestly, I am a little weird- of course the fact that I can see ghosts is another story. I'm different in a sense that I don't talk much and nobody wants to talk to me either. That was when I met Sam. She was the only one who had the nerve to talk to me when I transferred school in 2nd grade.

After my parents' breakup, my mother decided that we should also relocate as far from our abode when we were still a family as possible. And voila! She definitely took the changing towns too seriously because she found a place very different from our previous town - atmosphere and vibe-wise. My previous town, Calledo is almost always sunny. You can even smell the scorching heat even on its coldest days. I have to change shirt every few hours because of my perspiration. I am not even an energetic child.

This town that I have been in for 10 years already, Lluvfrea, is almost always damp due to drizzles but somehow it feels warmer because of Sam and her family.

Being loquacious is innate to Sam. We just seem to be very different from each other but we really are not. Even though we have been best buds since primary school, I still can't tell her about my gift (or curse). I just don't want her to get involved.

    "Where have you been? What took you so long? " I asked curiously.

    "Oh yeah, about that... Guess what?" she uttered with a grin.

    "Sam I am not a psychic, okay?! Spill it," I said trying to sound impatient.

    "Chill, Addie" Sam raised her hand as if to surrender as my bullet of words ricochet off her sunshine aura. "I have to call mom. I'm sorry. I know how to get here but I am not sure how to return home. "

This trip is supposed to be a secret between the two of us. It was really an impulse decision to come here after watching a beach-themed film at their gargantuan yet cozy home while sipping some lemonade in the middle of September right after class. We are crazy like that. I guess she saw that longing in my eyes because she suddenly blurted out that she knows how to get to this secluded beach just 20 km southwards from home. I do not know why I agreed to her plans, especially with my *we-have-to-plan-it-first* nature. But I guess Sam's *go-with-the-flow* nature got the best of me. We packed so lightly, head out, and rode the local bus. With the bus' wide opened windows, I felt the changing breeze, from the mundane cold of our town to the somewhat crisp air of the beach; and that is just 20 kilometers away from Lluvfrea. Something
is really wrong with our towns microclimate.

I love Sam's parents. They feel more like home than my own mother who is always so busy as a nurse at our local clinic. But knowing that they know about this trip put me on edge. It feels like this surreal trip is about to end so soon like popping a big bubble that I try so hard to blow into.

"And we do not have to worry about hitching a ride home. Mom already asked Jess to pick us up. Yeah. And he is coming. Isn't it nice? And sweet? He is so longing to see you." She blurted the words out with a goal of irritating me. When Sam told me that she called her mother it was like a slight slap on my face but when she told me that Jess is coming soon, it was like pouring me some iced water to wake me up from my reverie.

Jess is Sam's older brother. He's just three years older than us but he acts so maturely even when we were younger. Apart from their distinct curly midnight black hairs, they do not have anything in common. Sam has a curvy built perfectly paired with an amber sun tan. Jess on the other hand, is lanky with a limestone complexion. He is too stern and the exact opposite of Sam.

Jess is actually more like me. Maybe that is why I do not like him that much. He is too all-knowing, too adherent to rules, and a little intimidating. With him around, it is like constantly having your parents or teachers with you. I want to revel on this moment and I do not want to abide by his rules. Yet.

I tried so hard to contain my disappointment. All I managed to do was nod. The nod was more like a reassurance to myself that everything will be fine than a response to Sam.