Phantom Dances

The black curtain parts and sways in a phantom wind as my carriage passes through it. Instruments float about the room and slight taps fill the air. A wolf's howl brings me goosebumps. Strange symbols that I recognize from my friend's book about the supernatural surround me, then I know what I'm in a séance room. I notice a crystal ball with a floating disembodied head in it. It's been a while since I've heard my ghost host. I fully expected him to talk to me in this room, but I guess if there's one rule he would follow, it would be to respect the silence during a séance. A woman begins to talk. Her voice is strange and calm, firm, and soft. "Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat, call in the spirits, wherever they're at. Rap on a table" — a ghost raps the table— " it's time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond. Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine. Creepies and crawlies, toads in a pond, Let there be music from regions beyond" — music begins to play— "Wizards and witches wherever you dwell, Give us a hint by ringing a bell. A bell rings at command. My carriage finishes passing through this satanic room and moves into a pitch-black hallway. Once I'm there I hear faint music. Grand wooden doors open and I'm in a grand ballroom. My ghost host comes back. "The happy haunts have received your sympathetic vibrations and are beginning to materialize. They're assembling for a swinging wake, and they'll be expecting me... I'll see you a little later."

As if those words were an enchantment, the ghosts— or the "happy haunts" as the Ghost Host called them— began to materialize. A ghostly birthday party appears to be taking place at the dining table. The ghost of a child leans over his serving dish and attempts to blow out the candles on his cake. Some spirits sit on the grand and golden chandeliers, gorging themselves on wine. Other ghosts enter the hall from an open coffin in a hearse. If I had to guess, they must be freshly dead. A ghost wraps his arm around a bust of a woman. Ghost men and real men are no different I suppose. Up above, near the painted ceiling, two portraits of men with guns come to life, dueling with their pistols. A ghost plays a joyous and macabre piece on the organ. While everyone in attendance is dead, the atmosphere is festive, spirited, and merry. From all that I've seen here, this side of the veil is more jocular than the living side. I guess in death, people truly are themselves.