CHAPTER 1

Mabontle

It is Mabontle's 14th birthday and unlike the other birthdays she was unhappy. Usually the first present she would get when she woke up it was to hear her mother's voice singing her a happy birthday song. Bontle's mother was a great singer and her angelic voice could make anyone's day when she would sing. Singing was one of many virtues that Bontle inherited from her dearest late mother. This was the very first time that she was going to spend her birthday without hearing her mother's voice singing to her. Unfortunately, she lost her mother who fell sick and passed away in the hospital. Her mother's sister took her in during her mother's sickness and when she passed on, her aunt became her legal guardian.

Bontle never knew her father, but her mother would give her enough love to the point she never saw anything wrong being raised by a single parent. She and her mother were staying in a shack, though it was small, it was the most beautiful shack you can find in the hood. It was always clean and with the little furniture they had, they managed to make it look presentable. Bontle's mother was a cleaner in the firms, which meant she had to leave early in the morning five times a week. Though her mother was earning peanuts, it was as if they lacked nothing in the house. This made a lot of people in the hood unhappy with them, but hey that's how a Kasi (hood) lifestyle was-no one is bound to "live better than other, we must all be the same."

When Bontle lost her mother, she had to move in with her aunt and her family namely her daughter (Lesedi) and husband. This family was living a different lifestyle than Bontle and her mother. Firstly, both her aunt and husband were working, although they were not earning much, but they could afford more things compared to Bontle's mother. Secondly they were living in an RDP house which they were able to revamp it and make it look more stylish. Lastly, Lesedi was a spoiled brat who got whatever she wanted whenever she wanted it. Though they were not earning much, people perceived them as rich judging them by the way they looked and carried themselves. When Bontle moved to the hood it was hard for her to keep up with the appearance, she felt that she was dishonouring her mother's teaching when trying to fit into this lifestyle.

Since today it was her birthday and for the very first time of her life her mother wasn't around, she wasn't in the mood of celebrating her birthday. She thought:

What's the point of celebrating this day, if the one person who made this day possible is not around? Oh...how I miss her daily and I miss her even more that today she will not sing for me like she normally does. Dear mom...I am sorry that on my last birthday with you I said that I am too old for you to sing for me. Today I wish you would sing for me... (a single tear rolled down as she silently looked up)

Whilst Bontle was sleeping next to Lesedi who was fast asleep and couldn't tell that Bontle was crying. For her crying about her mother was something that she was ashamed of and she preferred to do it silently to avoid people feeling pity for her. Then unexpectedly their bedroom door was opened, and her aunt walked in singing her a happy birthday song holding a muffin that had one candle lit. For a strange reason she was hoping to see her mother walking in, but it was her aunt instead. Before she could even wipe her tear streak, her aunt jumped and said:

"Oh... darling you miss her? I am sure you do especially on this day. I wish I could do more than just giving you this muffin. I am deeply sorry."

"This stupid cake won't bring her back! Stop trying to be her and never sing for me a happy birthday song ever again!" Bontle replied as tears were uncontrollably rushing down her cheeks.

Her aunt stood up without saying anything and left the room with the cake still in her hands. As she left Lesedi woke up stretching herself and yawning.

"You know she is trying so hard to be there for you. How can you be so insensitive to her like this?" asked Bontle as she stood to go plug water for them to bath since they were going to school.