Prologue

I'm sorry! I tried to publish this so much sooner but if it wasn't one thing it was the other. I'll start updating more regularly (hopefully) this month. 

Let me know what you think!

Thank you!

---

"Where are you going?"

Maru, who had been previously been attempting to take what she imagined to be long, graceful strides down the corridor, stopped rather abruptly. She sighed, a little disappointed- she had hoped she would be able to get away without being seen. 

"More like... what are you doing?" It was Lena who was staring at her with an amused grin. "Oh god, you're doing it again..."

Echo suppressed a chuckle as she waddled slowly towards Maru with Lena in tow.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Maru replied with a frown and a shake of her head as she moved to assist Echo. 

"That thing where you try to imitate her.  You know, it doesn't suit you." Lena said, shooing Maru away. "It's okay, I've got this."

"I'm not trying to imitate anyone." Maru said with a shake of her head. "What are you doing up? Shouldn't you be taking it easy?"

"She's pregnant, not dying." Lena said, taking Echo's arm to help her move towards the kitchen. "She wanted a drink and I offered to go with her."

"You should have offered to GET it for her." Maru said, taking the opposite arm and giving it a gentle pull. "Where is your housekeeper?"

"Probably in bed, it's late. I'm not an invalid, I can get my own drink." Echo said, trying to pull away but neither of the girls would loosen their grip. 

"You should let people help you." Maru insisted, pulling her along gently. "Come on, I'll take you to go lay down."

"She's already up." Lena said, pulling her in the opposite direction. "We might as well get her that drink and a snack."

"You can take that to her room for her." Maru said, pulling again. 

"I obviously plan to carry it for her." Lena replied, gritting her teeth. 

"Oh god, can you two stop?!?" Echo said, raising her voice as she lost her patience. Both girls jumped back in surprise. It wasn't like Echo to lose her temper "I..."

She would have apologized but the sound of chuckling nearby prompted them all to turn. 

"Is this funny?" Echo said with a frown and a raised brow as she faced Luke. Maru's breath hitched. She couldn't explain what it was about her sister's husband that told her there was secrets here beyond their own comprehension. Coming to visit her sister was like stepping into an alternate universe that seemed almost dangerous... for reasons she couldn't even name. She liked Luke but she could tell there was more to him than they knew.

It fascinated her... and so she was always coming up with excuses to come over. Except today. Today she really just wanted to get away. 

"I wouldn't be laughing if it wasn't." He said, shaking his head gently. "Maru's right. You should be resting."

"No! I don't want to rest." Echo said, holding her hands in front of her as if she suspected he would try to drag her away. 

"Walking is good for someone in her condition." Lena said, and Luke nodded. 

"She did plenty of walking all day yesterday and this morning. Right now, she should be resting, it's late." Luke replied, taking the type of long and confident strides that Maru envied. How did he and Romy do that?