xv.

Lisa insisted on driving Jimin to Yoongi's party.

"But you just got back," Jimin argued, phone in hand. "Taehyung said he could pick me up so it's fine."

"Exactly, I just got back after a few months of not being able to be your personal chauffeur," Lisa said. Her hands were planted on her hips, which meant she was going to get her way. Jimin didn't know if that was a Lisa thing or a girls-in-general thing since he didn't have any sisters, but the rule never failed. "Don't worry, I won't break up your party," she said with a small snort. "Just let me drive you there."

"Okay," Jimin agreed, giving in because he didn't want to upset Lisa when she had only just gotten back. "But I'm not letting you put the lights on," he warned, and she just laughed. The last time she'd flicked on the siren, Jimin had tried to crawl down beneath the glove compartment to hide from both the loud noise and the people watching them.

"I won't, I promise," she said after a moment, holding a hand up as though swearing on a Bible. "Taking a squad car probably wouldn't be very safe right about now, anyway," she added a moment later, her voice growing noticeably quieter, and Jimin stilled as well.

Lisa had been home for two days now, giving her plenty of time to have seen what was on the television and process what had happened to her partner. Her time in a coma hadn't eased any of the tension, and things were getting more violent than ever.

Jimin wondered if Lisa was angry that Jaebum had died for sins he hadn't ever committed.

--

"So," Lisa said, letting the engine idle so the car could cool down a little bit. "What exactly are y'all going to be doing on your little boys' night out?"

"Just, I don't know, whatever," Jimin said with a small shrug. "They'll probably want to drink. They always want to drink," he said with a groan. Alcohol wasn't that interesting to him, but it seemed to be quite the object of fascination to his brothers.

"Let them have their fun," Lisa said with a smile as she pulled out of the driveway and exited their subdivision. "Just no driving, got it?" She paused at the stop sign longer than usual to look over at Jimin with a stern face.

"Of course," Jimin said with a small nod. Between their helicopter father and their police officer step-mom-slash-aunt, safety was a high priority in the Kim household. Drinking and driving was on the blacklist of activities that no Kim family member would ever consider doing. "So, what was being in a coma like? They're all going to ask."

"Boring." Lisa snorted and turned right, merging onto a busier street and heading in the general direction of Yoongi's apartment. "Sometimes noise filters in, but it's sort of like being in a dream. You kind of forget stuff as soon as it's passed. And time is weird too. When I woke up, it simultaneously felt like I'd never closed my eyes, but also like I'd been asleep for a hundred years. Like some sort of Disney princess curse. Not-" she immediately denied, "-that I'm saying I'm Sleeping Beauty. But, you know, if someone else were to say it, well, who am I to deny them?"

"Right," Jimin said with a smile, looking out the window. He liked when Lisa drove him places because it reminded him of Yoongi's driving, a little slow and extra careful. Of course, Lisa probably drove like that due to her training and because Jimin was 'precious cargo' as she would say, whereas Yoongi drove like a turtle because 'every other driver out here has a death wish.' But still. He liked that.

His smile slipped as he saw the red paint dripping down the window of a house beside the road.

ACAB

All Cops Are Bastards, he filled in automatically, his stomach sinking, and he looked over to find Lisa giving the window a quick glance before looking back out over the road as though she'd never seen it.