01

The Call

〰️

It had been nearly over a year since Lenna last saw the four Pevensie children: Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. They had been called back to London soon after the war had ended, leaving her alone in the mansion with the professor. She missed their company more than ever especially Peter's.

Of course, she exchanged letters with all of them, but it wasn't the same as being in their company as she had been for all those years back in Narnia.

In all his letters, Peter told Lenna that he missed her. You could say that they were officially together and what most people would call boyfriend and girlfriend. But Lenna disliked the term as she hated labelling herself. Of course before they had left Narnia, Lenna and Peter had been engaged but that had been taken away from them the moment they fell back through the wardrobe. Their time together as adults had been stripped away and the ring, Peter had proposed with had vanished just like Narnia.

Lenna could still remember the words they had exchanged before Peter left with his family back to London.

"It wasn't supposed to go this way," Lenna said. "I'm meant to be in Narnia! Peter, we are supposed to be there."

Peter took her hands in his and pulled her into him. Sadly, Lenna wrapped her arms around her waist.

"Being back here and away from Narnia, doesn't change anything, Lenna. It doesn't change my feelings for you. They are still as strong as ever."

Lenna looked up at him, resting her chin on his chest. He smiled down at her with his blue eyes that she had fallen desperately in love with.

"Being with you these past years has made me realise just how much I love you and if it means that I have to wait for years to come to be with you again like we were in Narnia then I shall wait."

"Then I shall wait too."

The two tried as best as they could to write to each other. Lucy and Susan also wrote on a regular basis and much to Lenna's surprise she received two or three letters from Edmund too.

The only thing that had been bugging Lenna, since their return, was the whereabouts of her real father, Aslan. She had not seen him since the time she was last in Narnia and she hadn't heard anything in her dreams either. Not even a roar. Lenna had even tried going back by entering the wardrobe but gave it up as a bad job when nothing happened.

It seemed Narnia was not permitting her entrance. She didn't understand why that would be. It didn't bode well with Lenna and to her something felt very wrong indeed.

〰️

"Lenna! Rise and Shine! You don't want to be late," Mrs Macready, the strict house maid, said to the sleeping lump on the small single bed. She flung open the curtains and Lenna was blinded by the bright early morning sun. Groaning she rolled over to hide her face from the blinding light.