14. Karma

"Karma's just sharpening his nails, and finishing his drink. He says he'll be with you shortly." - Unknown

• • •

Dean snapped his fingers as Noah recalled what those were. He had read vague details on them years ago. They thrive in chaos and mischief and carry it with them wherever they go, and they are typically killed using a wooden stake.

"That's what I thought," Dean pointed at Bobby. "What? No, you didn't," Sam raised his eyebrows at his big brother.

"I gotta tell you, you guys were the biggest clue," Bobby told the trio. "What do you mean?" Sam questioned.

"These things create chaos and mischeif, as easy as breathing, and it's got you so turned around and at each others throats that you can't even think straight!" Bobby exclaimed.

"The laptop," Sam realized. "The tires," Dean sighed. "Delta," Noah nodded.

"It knows you're onto him, and it's been playing you like fiddles, "Bobby spelled out. "So uh, what is it? Spirit, demon? What?" Dean inquired.

"Well..." Bobby trailed, "More like demi-gods, really, there's Loki in Scandinavia, there's Anansi in West Africa, dozens of 'em, they're immortal, and they can create things, out of thin air, things as real as you and me, make 'em vanish just as quick."

"You mean like an angry spirit, or an alien, or an alligator," Dean rattled off. "The victims fit the MO, too," Bobby nodded, "Tricksters target the high and the mighty, knock 'em down a peg, usually with a sense of humor, deadly pranks, things like that."

"Bobby, what do these things look like?" Dean questioned. "lots of things, but human, mostly," Bobby informed.

Dean nodded slowly before turning to Sam and Noah, "And what human do we know that's been ground zero this whole time?"

Sam furrowed his eyebrows, Noah bit his lip but they both quickly came to the same conclucion Dean had. The janitor.

• • •

"Sorry I'm dragging a little ass today, boys," the janitor stated aas he locked the door behind them, "Had quite the night last night." The three of them stepped up onto the staircase, "Lots of sex, if you catch my drift."

"Yeah hard not to," Noah muttered. "Listen, we won't be long, we just need to check a couple of offices, up on three," Dean explained as they ascended to the second story. Dean tapped Sam's shoulder, giving him a signal.

"No problem," he stated. Right as they stepped to the second flight of stairs, Sam patted his pockets as though he'd forgotten something, "Oh damn, I forgot something in the truck, you know what, I'll catch up with you guys," Sam waved them on.

"Okay," Dean agreed, the janitor seemed curious but shook it off and continued to lead Dean and Noah up.

• • •

"Just because he reads 'Weekly World News' does not mean he's our guy," Sam rationalized, "I mean, you read it too." The trio hurried out of Crawford Hall.

"I'm telling you, it's him," Dean stated in a matter-of-fact way. "Look, I just think we need some hard proof, that's all," Sam finalized.

"Alright, another thing Bobby mentioned was that these suckers have a metabolism like an insect," Dean stopped them, "Alright? A real sweet tooth."

"I didn't find any candy bars," Sam shook his head, "Or sugar, not even Equal."

"It's probably because you missed something," Dean looked back to the building. "I don't miss things," Sam dismissed.