Chapter 4: The NYU Plan

Pacing back and forth in her comfiest robe and slippers, Clare's mind was whirring. She had to figure out a way to convince everyone to let her attend NYU with Eli. Abortion and adoption were still out of the question, but could she really keep the baby and get a healthy college education? Audra didn't seem to think so, but Clare did.

        A soft knock startled her out of her trance, and she slowly shuffled over to the closed door. Once she opened it, Clare saw Jake standing on the other side of the threshold. He was dressed in a tuxedo, the kind high school boys wore only for prom and the occasional funeral. He looked far too nice to just be on a stroll down the hall.

        "Can I come it?" he questioned. They'd been on good terms recently, but he was still cautious around her considering their previous rough breakup.

        "Of course. At this point you're about the only one I'd let come it. Why're you all dressed up though?"

        "Oh, um, Nan and I are going to dinner," he cleared his throat nervously. Clare widened her eyes, realizing he was dressed so nicely because he had a date. The thought hadn't even occurred to her.

        "Well you look  nice," she said politely. "Did you need something?"

        "No, I just wanted to see you before I left and to make sure you're doing okay."

        "Well, I'm fine," she replied curtly, deciding not to mention NYU at the moment. However, what he said next changed her mind.

        "I just want you to remember I'm here for you and I'm on your side. I go to college, Clare, I'm smart, and so are you. Together we could figure this out, if you want my help that is," Jake's tone was the most genuine Clare had ever heard it. She was shocked.

        "Thank you, Jake. Actually, I'm not doing okay. I want to go to New York."

        "For college?" he raised his eyebrows almost all the way to his hairline.

        "Yeah, like I'd planned. And I don't see why I can't. They have a good childcare program there, and Eli could help me, and I'm definitely capable of handling it!" This all came out in a rush of breath, leaving Clare breathing deeply once she finished.

        "What about Drew, though? Doesn't he want to be involved?"

        "It's his fault I'm in this mess," she accused. "Plus I don't see why he wants to be involved, it would just be more work for him!"

        "It's going to be his flesh and blood too, though."

        "But I'm the one who has to carry him or her for nine months. I have to breast feed and wake up in the middle of the night and probably do everything else."

        "You wouldn't if you stayed, though, Clare. That's what Drew is for, he's supposed to help," Jake was being rational, which annoyed Clare to no end.

        "Jake, you said you'd help me. You know you can't convince me, so you might as well join me."

        He sighed. He knew deep down that he truly would never sway her opinion. Plus he'd promised to help her if she needed him, and she obviously did. It would take a lot of convincing, but they could definitely get the adults to see the perks of her attending NYU in the fall.

        "Fine, fine."

        Clare jumped up and down and rushed over to hug her step-brother. A warm bubbliness filled her inside as she thought about what they could accomplish together. If they could manage to date even while being related by marriage, they could get her to New York. She was surprised she hadn't thought of asking Jake for help sooner!

        "Clare," Jake tried to pry her off of him; she was still smothering him in a hug. "I'm still going to dinner, you know. I need to leave or I'll be late. We can work on something tomorrow, okay?"

        She knew he'd keep that promise.

~~~

        While she slept, Clare had conceived a great plan to convince everyone. It would take some fine tuning and an amazing delivery, which would be where Jake would come it. Clare was confident, but also afraid. The emotional toll it would take on everyone involved with the baby alone might be enough for her to give up the ruse.

        If things didn't go exactly according to plan, if Clare couldn't find it in her to lie well enough, her family and Drew might find out that she hadn't really had a miscarriage.