SIX

THIS IS HALLOWEEN!

SALAZAR moved through the crowds of teens, each drowning their sorrows down cups of spiked punch. On days like this, he preferred to hide his thoughts away in the thoughts of others. Glaring at the full moon, he stuffed his hands into his pockets shoving the bodies away from him. Frowning he wondering why his niece hadn't contacted him yet seeing as her baptism must have ended not too long ago. 

He could feel the soft chill of the night along his spine and wondered if the simple-minded humans around him knew anything about the air of death. Girls on film thudded throughout the house and no matter how much Salazar tried to drown it out the noise was too loud for his sensitive hearing. While his ears rang his eyes caught the crowds of teens and onto a figure storming outside in a frenzy. 

Swinging his head, he caught the sight of Nancy Wheeler walking away with a sway to her step. He furrowed his brows in confusion at the odd way she deemed appropriate to vent her obvious frustrations over life. 

While Salazar's ears continued to ring, he spotted the unmistakenly familiar head of hair huddling down onto the porch. On normal occasions, he would have let it be seeing as humans were never much interesting to him. Even then strands of hair parted to reveal an expression that he couldn't misplace. 

Stealing a solo cup from a girl close to him Salazar marched over and shoved Steve over, "Hey stranger."

Steve lulled his head to the side and pulled his eyebrows together, confused before the look cleared into a dumb grin, "Did you want to join the pity party?" 

"Hmm," Salazar hummed as if contemplating a serious answer, "Not particularly, just wanted to make sure you don't drown yourself in that cup you're holding."

Steve flinched and abruptly dropped the cup onto the ground in front of him, sighing into his hands. "Pretty gnarly huh?"

Salazar leaned in and looked past him knowing he was talking about his girlfriends' drunk outburst. He pulled a hand up behind Steve's eyes and muttered silently next to the drunk before pulling his lips into a small smirk. 

"Here," He handed him the solo cup now filled with water laced in magic, "Clear up your head, can't have you end up on a newspaper cover now can we?"

Steve stared at him for a moment and Salazar took the moment of eye contact to observe his features that were much closer than he'd ever seen them. Contemplating if he should stick around longer, Salazar shut his eyes and pulled back with a small grin, "You can't be hung up on these things," He gestured for him to hurry and grab the bottle between them, "You have to find yourself, dude, don't worry too much about finding others."

Standing up, he shook his head at the utterance of "dude" that left his lips. Accustoming to the slang of the 80s was sure to rot his brain sooner or later. He made his way down the steps almost forgetting who he was speaking to, hissing to himself he paused and straightened his shoulders back, "Harrington!" 

Steve's eyebrows pulled together, "Yeah, Spellman?"

He bit his tongue and swore that when he got home he'd guillotine his tongue off, "If you ever need anything, you know where I'll be."

Steve fumbled with the cup and watched the short curls of Salazar's head disappear around the corner. He frowned for a moment, swishing the contents of the cup around carefully to avoid dropping it in his buzzed state. A hesitant flush covered his face the more he stared at the cup, eyes puffy but with a contemplating look to them.

He knew he meant to stay something to the strange teen but the thoughts just jumbled together in a disorganized mess in his head, grumbling he rubbed his eyes harshly, "Shit."

When he'd walked far enough, Salazar disappeared, reappearing in his temporary home as a small trail of black smog began pooling around his feet. 

A man in a shawl threw his hands open with a grin, "Come give daddy a hug!"

Salazar simply stared and sidestepped away from him. 

"Saw the battle-ax, by the way, it was a wonderful touch. Although you did miss by an inch." His father let out an annoying giggle rushing to face him, reminding Salazar vividly of who he got his personality and looks from.

While many would be under the impression that Salazar and Lucifer had not seen each other in centries, that was in fact untrue. A large part of his imprisonment was spent alongside his father and the irritating Eve. While his father held a twisted affection for the first human turned witch Salazar could care less for her.

"Was really hoping I could be finished with seeing your face," Salazar hummed in disappointment, handing his father what looked to be red wine, but never truly could be.

"Yes, yes," Lucifer sighed with an odd whimsical tone, "My lovely son, always making me proud."

Salazar paused for a moment at his words and straightened his back, the ax he had propped to swing on Lucifer in hand. Shaking his head he tossed it into an enchanted chest that never seemed to have an end. He turned and observed his father for a while, lost in the way that his presence always seemed to comfort him.

"You've been busy." His father stated, fingers trailing along the posterboards littered with news clippings.

"It is a good habit to keep, observing that is," Salazar responded his own eyes looking to his collection of information, a portion of it emphasized a young man with a full head of hair and deep chocolate eyes.

Lucifer, catching onto his son simply grinned devilishly. Salazar grumbled at the look and waved off his direction of thought, "Anyways, has Sabrina completed her baptism?"

"Sabrina, Sabrina..." He trailed off as if trying to remember who that could be before snapping his finger, "Ah! a momentary issue, you know how it is."

"Unfortunately," Salazar responded but frowned thinking about Sabrina, "Did you think I wouldn't notice?" 

"Never! I have the utmost faith in you" Lucifer waved in dismissal and set his glass down, "My son, always knowing, never disappointing."

Salazar's fist clenched and for an odd moment, a harsh thought of abandonment crossed his mind. Frowning, he moved to stare at his father, looking deeply at him in an obvious way to ask for elaboration.

"The Spellman's could not conceive properly, so I was called forwards and dealt with it the simplest way I knew possible." His father shrugged.

"How tragic," Salazar muttered in annoyance digging his thumb into his palm. 

Contrary to his own mother who simply had an affair with the devil Salazar supposed that he couldn't be angry with Sabrina, it was not her fault that the Spellman matron had put ill trust in Lucifer. 

Salazar had other things to be concerned about, evident by the strange feeling that had been intruding the air all night. A dark and ominous feeling unlike the one accompanied by hell and dark magic, something odd

Something on the other side.