:Zero:

CHAPTER ZERO
CYGNUS

●○●○●

Before Eve could acknowledge it, the bell was wailing above her, signifying that the school day has come to an end. Her packed art class was suddenly empty, and Eve swore she saw a tumbleweed dance across the tiled floor from how empty it had become in just a few short seconds. Even the teacher was absent, booking it once all the teenagers scrambled out. 

  Left alone, Eve packed her items at a steady pace her long, wavy red hair blocking her vision every now and then. Once she had everything packed, she swung her bag over her shoulders and with her short height, maneuvered her way through the student body that littered the hall.

    Every afternoon, once the bell rang for school to end, the school hallways were always this crowded. Despite it being the end of the day, the students still remained inside the building for reasons Eve didn't bother to know. But she did know what made Jessica Stanley and Lauren Mallory stay which is because their mouths never keep shut about the latest gossip.

  Although Eve would perk her head up at the mention of drama, she always thought it was a nasty subject. She felt awful for the students that were talked behind the girls' backs. 

  Eve was even positive that the two had discussed her before, and maybe her brother too. Although Jordan and Eve were twins and shared the same hair color, freckled skin, and smile, their personalities were contrary. The sixteen-year-old girl was a social butterfly, always the one to start conversations and the one to leave others uncomfortable which she felt guilty about whenever she got a peek at it. She was always the one to end up in the nurse's office for being born a clutz; on too many occasions were her parents emailed because Eve fell in the parking lot. The female was also known for being stubborn; she strived to be perfect — having perfect grades, perfect attendance — anything to make sure she would survive in the end. What made her a total stranger almost was that she was innocent.

  Her brother, Jordan, wasn't mature in the means of his responsibly, but in other fashion, he was mature. He was infamous for breaking every single rule Fork's high school had to offer. On occasion, Eve would open the door before dawn to find Chief Swan there with her brother grinning stupidly. His grades were another story. No matter how many times Eve insisted he does his homework, he simply didn't.

 Whenever she begged him to do one more math problem, he would give the same excuse. I won't need it in the long run, he would say. In her head, Eve knew they would never have to use the equation in the real world, but it was the work put into it that would be needed in the long run. 

To her, grades and effort meant something. Some nights, she would stay up having a panic attack because she feared for her brother's future. Some nights, she shed tears because all she wanted was to hold him close and promise that the future required responsibility and he needed to have it. 

Those were just dreams Eve was sure would never come true. Still, the Tobin twins were closer than anything. Jordan was extremely overprotective because of the crowd he hung out with, they had eyes for Eve that she was too oblivious to take notice of.

  That's why when Eve stepped foot outside, the chilly Autumn air pinching her skin and tinting her cheeks, Jordan was quick to appear by her side. 

  "Did you study?" She asks with a clipped tone because she has a feeling he didn't. She greets disappointment like an old friend when Jordan grins, shaking his head till his wild curls bounce. "We tried so hard last night."

  "I know," he says, chuckling loudly. With an arm decorated with tattoos, he swings it around her shoulders and leans his lengthy figure against her short one. "But you were being hella boring. Hopefully, my snoring wasn't that loud."

  It was a hard fight to hide her grin away, but it still blossoms across her lips. They make their way towards their bikes because if there was another thing they had in common, it was that their family lacked wealth. 

  Part of Eve felt that was a reason why Jordan made the choices he made. All his tattoos weren't paid by him. Neither were some of the things he owned. 

  Retrieving her bike and placing her headphones on her ears, Eve placed her doll-like eyes on her brother who was texting away on his phone. By clearing her throat, she gained a glance from him. "I-I have to work. Mrs. Ateara called again and Darcy's busy so... I'm babysitting again tonight."

  "Oh," is all he says. Her cheeks are painted red from his short and awkward response. "Need me to pick you up?"

  They didn't own a car, only their parents did. Still, she forces a smile and a nod, her long waves dancing with a gust of harsh wind. Bike riding to La Push was definitely going to be fun. 

  "What will you do?" She asks, watching as Jordan gets comfortable on his seat. Behind her, she can hear his name being called and she can see his reaction; face lifting with elation, yet his eyes became foggy with guilt. 

  "Hang out with them," he nods his head in the direction of the three boys; Henry Hall, Jem Quinnelly, and Nicolas Almazan. They were cool, chill, as Jordan describes them and Eve trusted her brother somewhat. With how much trouble they all got into on a regular basis, Eve had mixed feelings. "I'll be there to pick you up. Just give me a time, 'kay?"

  "Promise?"

"Duh," he mutters as if the idea of breaking a promise was insane. He did it on multiple occasions. Waving at her, Jordan meets his friends while Eve heads down the road.

  Although the Tobin siblings had different styles and choices, their love for one another never faltered. But their love for the choices they've made always did.

A/N: Heads up! I did change some things in the original plot of New Moon. You'll probably notice them or not, but I just wanted y'all to know. Have a lovely day! :)

 Have a lovely day! :)