Chapter 1 - Lost and Found

I barely slept that night. I just couldn’t believe how my little idyllic world could just break down like that – just like there was nothing that ever connected Ben and me. That night – when I lay awake in my bed gazing at the ceiling I made a wish – If it was possible, I wanted my whole life to change. 

I wanted a job I liked, new friends, maybe a decent boyfriend who wouldn’t back off with my best friend – oh and a new best friend of course. All in all I just wanted to be happy again. 

The next morning I hurried to Hyde Park where the annual Park Festival was taking place. 

Working at the ‘Lost & Found’ there was actually a cool job for once. Although I wasn’t really let out on the celebrities who performed there, I was able to catch a glimpse every now and then while I was looking around for lost keys, wallets and phones. 

”People need to watch after their stuff – I can’t believe how much we found” Elliot the guy I worked with said as he returned with a box of collected items. 

”I know – who loses their teeth though?” I asked peering into the box and wrinkling my nose in disgust. 

”They’re probably Mick Jagger’s” he joked and to my surprise a laugh escaped my mouth.

I didn’t know I was even able to laugh anymore. After all I was down right depressed because of Ben. I couldn’t sleep, ate like a pig and felt downright miserable. 

”Could you take another around the B stage? We haven’t been there yet, have we?” Elliot asked as he sorted the items into different boxes. 

”Yeah sure, but I gotta pee first – I’ll be right back!” 

*** 

On my way back from the toilet I suddenly noticed a girl walking around crouching slightly and looking closely around in the grass for something. Clear case, she probably lost something – my duty called. 

”Hey! Are you looking for something?” I asked her pushing myself to a smile. 

She looked up at me – oh god she was extremely pretty. She had long brunette curly hair and a beautiful heart shaped face – along with legs any girl would’ve killed for – including me. 

”Yeah, I – I think I lost my phone and I’m kind of getting a heart attack right now” the girl said wiping her forehead in distress. 

”Well maybe we found it already –” I said pointing at my black tee which said in bold white letters ‘Lost and Found’. 

”Oh my god! That would be brilliant – If that phone was lost I could as well kill myself” she laughed. 

”Important numbers? Private pictures?” I asked. She nodded unhappily. 

”Alright follow me” I said smiling. At least I could help someone if I couldn’t help myself. 

At the booth I handed her the box which had ‘phones’ written on it and contained about fifty phones. People just don’t watch out for their stuff. 

She rummaged around in it and picked a white iPhone out of it. She flipped it around and then sighed in relief. “Jesus mercy upon me!” 

”Found it?” I asked smiling. 

”Yeah see – it has a little pink heart sticker on the back. Thank you so much!! You are doing such a great job here. Can I do something for you? Can I pay you??“ 

”It’s our job after all – don’t worry about it, have fun at the festival!” I said making a dismissive movement with my hand. 

”Thank you!” she cheered and ran away clutching the phone tightly to her chest. It was always nice to help people – maybe that meant some good karma for my flat share hunt.