Chapter-1: Arrange Marriage

"NNNNNOOOOOOOO!"

I covered my ears as the shrieking voice almost blew my eardrums. I knew this was inevitable. I had predicted this much. However, there was no turning back now. It was a dead end. I had caused this disaster. Only I could end it.

I turned on my chair as my ears stopped buzzing and waved enthusiastically at the trio who were still standing at the entrance. All eyes that were burning holes at the trio now turned towards me. I won't blame them. If anything, I just wanted to pretend I didn't know those morons but they were my friends and I had already foreseen such a reaction.

As soon as they saw me waving, all of them rushed-- well Dane leapt at me, almost making me fall from my seat, while Jane strode with rushed steps, her small face itched with worry. Kane just rolled his eyes at the duo and walked unhurriedly behind them. I could feel annoyance seeping out of him but knowing the reason why he came here on such short notice warmed my heart.

Dane started whining about how unfair it was, his face still buried in my hair. I could just awkwardly pat his back when he was pulled back by the collar.

"Speak human," Kane growled before he pushed him aside and sat down on the seat beside me. It didn't need to be mentioned how intimidating Kane looked or sounded. However, we had already cracked his hard exterior a long time ago.

Dane just punched his shoulder which didn't even make Kane flinch and sat on the seat in front of us with his cheeks puffing out. Jane sat beside him, eyeing me cautiously.

I could see everyone was worried but didn't want to rush me into talking. But I knew I was the only one who should speak. So, I took a deep breath and started.

"Okay, so, yeah."

Good talk Sally. You should give speeches in your mother's stead from now on at balls.

I hissed internally as I stuttered out these words. Dane raised a brow at me, Jane shook her head, while Kane kept silent.

My inner self ridiculed me but it was right. I needed to explain to them and if possible rant in front of them, for which I called them here. But now that I had to actually speak out loud, I felt choked. The words in my mind just won't come out. I felt like crying but also nothing. I was disappointed but I didn't know what disappointed me. Maybe it's my family I'm disappointed in, or maybe my mother, or maybe I'm just disappointed in myself for not being strong enough to stand up for myself.

I was brought out of my train of thought when I felt a hand squeeze my shoulder reassuringly. I turned my head towards Kane who was looking at me worriedly. He was staring down at me with his light brown eyes that gave a hazel shade because of the sunlight coming through the window where we were sitting. Only if he was a character from one of my novels.....

I mentally patted myself for choosing this table. Then I slapped my mental self for losing track of thoughts again and came back to the present.

I cleared my throat and tried to speak again, more elaborately this time.

"So, what I mean is, yes, I'm getting..... married." As soon as I said the word "married" all hell broke loose.

"NNNOOO--" The same shriek from earlier started however, Jane quickly covered Dane's mouth. Dane tried to push her hand away but one glare from her made him sit obediently like a puppy. After silencing him, Jane looked at me with her eyes softening. I knew what was coming next.

Jane and Dane would start crying, while Kane would start beating them up to make me feel better. That's just how we were. But I didn't want to be emotional at the moment. I wanted to seem strong. I wanted to feel strong.