CHAPTER THREE

It was around 2:30 in the morning when at last we stepped out into the cold night air, or morning air I guess, and started our journey back to the dorms. My ears are pounding so hard that it's hard to hear what Rae is laughing at, but I can only assume it's Alex.

Somehow, Rae is still awake and functioning, however her legs aren't. It's like her entire bottom half just went to sleep without the rest of her. Apparently, the other guy's name is Chris, her boyfriend, and she now has a guy on both sides with arms around her. They're desperately trying to carry her back but it's obviously not working.

She refuses to move her feet, but her arms and head whip back and forth to the music Alex has playing on her phone. The boys end up grabbing each one of her legs to carry as well, so it looks like she is sitting on a throne and being carried throughout the empty sidewalks in the wee hours of the night.

I breathe a sigh of relief when the pulse in my head finally starts subsiding in the quiet air. My friends laugh at the music playing, but I focus on the pretty store lights lining the street. The wind picks up in a chill and unexpectedly sobers us all up a bit. The laughter dies down.

We continue walking until the boys' hands get too cold, so we stop at a bus bench and to set Rae down.

"What the hell, guys? I'm good to go still." She demands, giving Chris a stern look. He waves his hands in surrender.

"Okay," Nate answers heaving a sigh, "If you can get up, then you can walk."

Rae gives him a drunk smile, before her face twists into a full-on panic. "I can't move my legs!" she exclaims. Finally coming to the realization that the rest of us have been dealing with the last hour. The rest of us just groan.

I take a couple steps ahead of everyone and try to look up into the dark sky and see stars, but the city is too large and too bright. Taking in a deep breath, I try to calm my racing pulse even more. Somehow, I feel both ready to run a marathon but also be so lightheaded that I could just go limp and float away.

Just as I'm admiring the lights of the businesses across the street, I notice the Denny's. That means that we're close to the dorms because I remember passing it on the way here. It also means that they're open and the guys might want some coffee to help them carry Rae the rest of the way.

I turn my attention back to the group, "Hey guys, Denny's is over there and they're open." I suggest. Just as I finish my sentence, I notice Evan walking up alone in the darkness behind Nate. He stops under the lamp post by the bench.

"Well, look who it is," he says, and immediately brightens when he sees Chris.

"Hey, man!" Chris hops over Rae to him and gives him a high five. He must know him well, because Evan didn't have to ask for one.

"How's it going? What are you guys up to?" Evan asks and leans against the bench Rae is now currently laying on.

"We were just about to go and warm up in Denny's, care to join us?" Chris asks. I could tell that this upset Nate, but he was too exhausted from carrying Rae to say anything.

Evan looks around at who's in our group like that was a deciding factor. Then his eyes land on mine.

"Breakfast at three am?" he asks looking right at me, "Bring it on."

...

When we finally get across the street to the glass doors of Denny's, we could barely get in. Apparently, this was one of, if not the only, place open this late. Especially around here.

The place is booming with people and once inside, it's hard to even tell it's three in the morning.

I stand with my face practically to the glass of the entryway, nervously looking at the sea of people filling the place. Almost every table was full.