Late Night Chat

I sat up and laid against the pillar of the lounge house of ember island.

A temporary hideout.

I just needed some fresh air, since my mind was swarming.

A full mind is just as bad as an empty stomach. Or so they say.

'Don't feel bad because other people have it worse than you'.

'Being content with yourself is toxic'.

6 years of recovering from body dysphoria wasted because my so called family had to open their mouths.

And only when I'm close to succeeding in loving myself.

Then they wonder why I avoid them so much. And wonder why I'm always crying.

I'm overthinking again.

Pathetic.

I felt my tears pooling again.

Pathetic.

I propped back on my elbows after closing my eyes and laid down, facing up to the ceiling.

"Hey." A raspy voice snapped me out of my melancholic state.

I jolted up in response, knocking heads with someone else in the process.

"Ow...!"

"Mother of pearl..." I groaned while holding my forehead and hunching over on my side.

"You ok?"

It was Zuko.

Just great. Excellent. The right person at such an inconvenient time. Since I happen to have a small crush on him.

Ok I lied.

I have a huge crush on him.

And I'm far from comfortable with the fact. Especially with what I'm going through.

"Hi." I grimaced. "Must you?"

"Must I what?" He asked.

"You fucking startled me." I sat back up as he sits a good distance next to me. "I'm always startling you."

"Well, you always used to follow me and the gaang all around the world. And try to kill us. But you don't hear me commenting on that." I half joked. "Besides, if you wanted to join us so badly, you could've just ask."

"...Are you pulling a Katara or...?" He quirked his brow.

"No. Relax. I'm just messing with you." I chuckled. "Each person has a different way of coping with trauma and anxiety." I leaned back on the pillar.

A comfortable yet awkward silence fell on us both.

"Why are you up so late?" He asked straight to the point.

"Why are you worried?" I avaded while staring at the stars.

"You haven't been eating." He noted.

My eyes closed themselves as I brushed my (h/c) hair away from my ear to hide my blushing face.

"Something's bothering you. I know it."

"What do you mean?" I asked stoically.

"It's written on your face. Hiding behind your hair won't help." I could be wrong, but I sensed him scooting closer to me.

"So you can read people now? Say, what genre am I expressing?" I looked directly at him with a curt smile ghost my plump lips.

Yep, just as I thought. He was closer than previously.