Aftermath Part 2

About fifteen minutes later Harry had collected his things, of which the most important to him was the photo album Hagrid had given him at the end of his first year at Hogwarts. Julie came into the hallway to see them off. Ron and Hermione had already stepped outside when Julie touched Harry's arm. "Harry, er... it was really good to see you again," she told him.

"It was actually good to see you too, Juliebee," Harry said.

"Yeah, don't do that," Julie said, but with a smile, before continuing. "Harry, could we maybe meet up some time? I have some things to tell you, and even though your friends are really nice, some things are best said privately." Much to her happiness, Harry agreed to meet her next week.

"That went well," Ron said when Julie had closed the door.

"She was actually really nice," Hermione said.

"Yes, she has come a long way," Harry said. He suddenly realised that Julie was a typical example of someone who probably would not have been a bad person if she had only had a different kind of upbringing.

Exactly a week later Julie stood on Charing Cross Road in London. She was a tad early; it was a quarter to eleven, and Harry had agreed to meet her at eleven. She watched other people go about their day, sometimes smiling or nodding at people she made eye contact with. She always enjoyed watching people. She would fantasise who they were, and what they did, and why they were here on this specific time. Every person on this planet had a unique story to tell after all.

She was nervous to meet her cousin. Even though their last meeting had been very pleasant, there was still an open wound between them and she was not at all sure whether that could ever be fully healed. "Hello Julie," a voice said. She looked up and smiled at her cousin.

"Harry! Hi! I'm so glad to see you!" She wanted to hug him, but did not dare to.

"Well, Julie, I must say I was quite impressed with some of the things you told me last week."

"I'm glad to hear that," Julie said.

"Er, shall we go inside then?" Harry asked.

Julie looked behind her. "Inside? There's nothing here."

"The Leaky Cauldron's a magical building, that's why you can't see it. But if you hold my arm I can take you with me." So she did, and a few seconds later she found herself in a cosy pub. The light came from candles on wooden tables and there was a crackling fire coming from the fireplace.

"Mr Potter! What an honour!" the host said brightly.

"Hello, Tom. Two Butterbeers, please," Harry said.

"Sure, coming right up." Harry and Julie sat down at a table rather far from the others, so that they could speak privately.

"Thanks," she mumbled when the host put down the drinks for them.

Harry looked at her. "So, what did you want to talk to me about?" Julie took a breath; this was it. It was going to happen here and now. She looked her cousin in the eyes.

"Harry, I'm really very sorry about my behaviour in the past. About how I always bullied you, how I got you in trouble with my parents, how I always shoved my presents in your face, that I was easily the worst cousin in the world and that you never had a real childhood. It was all wrong, completely wrong, and I consider it the biggest mistake of my life. I'm sorry that you were never treated as a member of the family, and for all the neglect and abuse that you had to endure. It's not like you had ever chosen to live with us. And... if you never want to see me again, I'd understand. I really would. But I'm more sorry than I could ever put into words, no matter how much I'd try."

Harry did not say anything. He was probably too surprised; she would have been. After what seemed like an eternity he spoke. "Thank you, Julie, that means a lot. I forgive you."

Now it was Julie who was somewhat surprised. "That easily?" she asked faintly.

"Well, it's like you said that night you departed from Privet Drive to go into hiding. I don't want to lose the only cousin I have."

Julie smiled. "Harry... I don't know what to say. Thank you. And if there's ever anything I can do for you, just ask. I want to be a good cousin from now on."

Harry nodded. "Not only are you one of the few relatives I have, but it's not entirely your fault. It's your parents who spoiled you so much and never set boundaries, and always allowed you to do whatever you wanted."

"Yes, I guess that's true. But I don't want to deny my own responsibility. I should've behaved better, no matter what. By the way, I know why my parents raised me like that." She told Harry what her mother had told her in The Lair. How she wanted Julie to be the special one, so she would not feel jealous like her mother had felt towards her sister. "But," Julie concluded, "that's not your fault and not a legitimate reason to make you sleep in a cupboard." They finished their drinks. "By the way, I have something for you. When I told my parents I was going to meet up with you, my mother wanted me to give you this."

Julie handed him a small package, which Harry carefully unwrapped. A tiny blanket fell on his lap. "It's the blanket you were bundled in that night you were left on our doorstep. It was your mother's, so my mother felt it's right that you have it now," Julie said. Harry was in total shock, and so Julie gave him a minute, stepping away from the table. When she came back, Harry had safely tucked the blanket away.

"Shall I show you Diagon Alley? It's right behind the pub. It's basically a wizarding shopping street and we can talk some more," Harry said.

"Sure, that sounds nice," Julie said with a smile.

They walked through Diagon Alley (where literally everyone greeted Harry) and did a lot of catching up. Julie told Harry some more about her time at The Lair, while Harry told her about his new career. Julie felt a little sad to talk about Justin, but did so anyway. "...and when Hestia told me, I just broke down." She showed him her watch. "He magically repaired this and gave it back to me just before he left for battle. It reminds me of two awesome guys now."

Harry looked at her. "You'll find true love someday, Julie."

Julie just smiled. "Well, for now I'm just happy that I have you in my life." They stopped at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Barely had they stepped inside or they were greeted enthusiastically by Fred and George.

"Harry! Julie! What brings you here together?"

"Oh, I was just showing Julie around Diagon Alley," Harry said casually. He would not mention her apology to anyone but Ron and Hermione, because he felt that was something personal between him and Julie.

"Hi guys," Julie said, genuinely happy to see them again. The twins gave them a tour around the shop and Julie loved every second of it.

"Business has been booming, now that You-Know-Who's gone!" Fred said, patting Harry on the shoulder. Harry smiled awkwardly; he would never be the kind of person who was comfortable with constant praise.

"Well, it was a little rough when you were still recovering from that explosion," George said.

"Only because we had so many orders," Fred said with a wink. When Harry and Julie left, the twins told her that she was welcome anytime, which she was happy to hear. When Harry had shown her every shop, they walked back to the Leaky Cauldron.

"I guess I'd better get going now," Julie said.

Harry looked at her. "We could Apparate if you like, that'll save you some time," Harry offered.

"Sure," Julie said, smiling at him. She did not enjoy that sensation, she had felt that during her arrival and departure at The Lair, but she really appreciated his gesture. When they appeared on Privet Drive that evening, Julie looked at Harry a final time. "Harry, I... Thank you for, you know, being so forgiving."

"Don't worry Julie, I had a great time with you today. We should do that again some time," Harry said kindly.

"I'd love that," Julie said, and then they hugged.

In the following years, Harry and Julie kept working on their relationship. Julie still felt a little guilty towards him at times, but Harry genuinely liked how she was now and made sure that she did not feel bad, never bringing up the past. Eventually there was practically no more awkwardness between the two of them and they enjoyed a very healthy relationship. Harry found her a very useful contact in the Muggle world and did not forget to show her pictures of his parents, who were, after all, her uncle and aunt. After finishing high school, Julie enrolled in culinary school, eventually working her way up to owning several restaurants. Harry was happy to invite her to his wedding with Ginny, and Julie returned the favour by inviting them when she married a Muggle. Harry and Julie were in frequent touch and fully trusted each other. Life was really great sometimes.